PDA

View Full Version : new here

Thomas Becknell
06-21-2005, 2:39 PM
hi everyone,
i am new to the forum & woodworking. i have been lurking for awhile & decided to join. i feel sure that i can learn alot here. looks like everyone is eger to help with each others problems. i need a lot of help:o . i had to quit metal fabrication & get into something lighter. i will be lurking a lot. don't know enough to help out yet.
new woodworker
Thomas

Roy Wall
06-21-2005, 2:44 PM
Thomas,

Welcome to SMC! You'll get good advice and techniques from this group :)

Jeff Sudmeier
06-21-2005, 2:52 PM
Thomas, Welcome to the Creek! This is a great forum that you have joined! New members like yourself is what keeps forums fresh and interesting.

I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Jeff

Steve Stube
06-21-2005, 2:54 PM
Welcome Thomas, there are a few here that fabricate in both wood and metal as I do. One doesn't exclude the other and too sheetmetal is light:-)Your machinist skills will be an asset when you tune the ww machines.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-21-2005, 3:00 PM
Welcome to the Creek Thomas! Neat place to trade information! From beginners to pros they are all here willing to lend information or opinions.

Lee DeRaud
06-21-2005, 3:14 PM
Your machinist skills will be an asset when you tune the ww machines.Just don't feel like you absolutely have to tune the WW stuff to the nearest 0.0001. :p

Chris Padilla
06-21-2005, 3:17 PM
Now, Lee, we'll allow 0.001"...we are flexible! ;) Welcome, Thomas, feel free to wade in...the water's always just right. :)

scott spencer
06-21-2005, 4:02 PM
Wow, you're encroaching on "two greats" with one post....not bad for a newbie! Great hobby....great website.....welcome to both!

Lee DeRaud
06-21-2005, 4:05 PM
Now, Lee, we'll allow 0.001"...we are flexible! ;) Ok, I can live with 0.001".:cool:

There are some parts in the system I work on here that have tolerances measured in microinches.:eek: Suffice it to say, the reject rate during production was insanely high...I don't think we even have anybody around anymore who could make more of these parts if we needed to. I have this scary image of these old-time machinists, now retired, going stark raving bonkers trying to set up woodworking machinery to the precision they're accustomed to.

Thomas Becknell
06-21-2005, 4:57 PM
:) thanks to all for the warm welcome. i wondered why i was having so much trouble seting up my t/s & jointer. it's going to be hard to get out of using such close mesurments.
i am looking foward to reading your post & looking at pics. but most of all being a part of this group of great frindly people. hope that one day i can help someone with their questions.
Thomas

John Hart
06-21-2005, 6:21 PM
Welcome Thomas! I think you'll find that the grain is prettier than sheet metal and you can use your goof-ups to toast marshmallows!

Jim Hager
06-21-2005, 6:33 PM
:) thanks to all for the warm welcome. i wondered why i was having so much trouble seting up my t/s & jointer. it's going to be hard to get out of using such close mesurments.

I had a student in my last adult class that I teach that was a practicing machinist. He had more trouble with the tolerance factor than I had ever seen before. I finally took his dial caliper away from him and gave him a cheapie plastic one that I use all the time. After that he was happy as a clam.

I'm fairly new here too but I've found it to be a tremendous place to hang out.

If you are interested in seeing some of my stuff my website is "hagerwoodworks.com"

lou sansone
06-21-2005, 10:11 PM
welcome to the creek. you will be able to learn a lot here

lou

Corey Hallagan
06-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Welcome to SMC. Truely a bunch of great guys and to help you out when you are ina spot! Also, some really fine craftsman here as well!

Corey