PDA

View Full Version : New Edge and Spindle Sanders

Keith Outten
03-23-2014, 9:07 PM
Over the last couple if years I have been in an upgrade mode replacing some of my machines that I have either outgrown or need to replace with larger models. Last year I replaced both my wood and metal band saws plus my shop welding machine. Last week I received a new Baileigh Edge Sander and their floor model Spindle Sander.

The Baileigh ES-6100 Oscillating Edge Sander (http://wood.baileighindustrial.com/edge-sander-es-6100) replaced a ten year old edge sander that I purchased from one of the traveling truck sales. It was a very low quality machine...but...it worked flawlessly for ten years and it was very inexpensive. My bench model Jet Spindle Sander was replaced with the floor model Baileigh OS-2424 Oscillating Spindle Sander (http://wood.baileighindustrial.com/oscillating-spindle-sander-os-2424) with ten spindles. Sorry I don't have reviews yet, it was a challenge last week to get both machines in my very crowded shop and move the old machines out. Some electrical work was also required because the new Edge Sander required 240V. I have two school retrofit sign projects underway right now, when they are complete I will have some serious hours on both of the new sanders.

In the picture of the Spindle Sander you can see my new Jet 1221 VS wood lathe I purchased not to long ago. It replaced my ten year old Jet Mini. This one wasn't a huge upgrade but I wanted the variable speed feature and a little more capacity for some upcoming work I have on my schedule. In the picture you can see the first two Stonewall Jackson Prayer Tree pen blanks on the lathe. These are the lower pieces, the upper pen pieces are White Corian and I have six of them ready to be laser engraved. I promise to create a new thread in the Turners Forum when I get the first Stonewall Jackson Pen finished.

This was my second year shopping for new machines with Baileigh Industrial. Both times I called Shane Henderson on the phone and he has been a great guy to work with. This time I ordered the new sanders on Friday and the truck was here on Tuesday at noon.

Bill Huber
03-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Now those are some really nice sanders, it does look kind of funny, that great big table and that little spindle in it.

I don't guess you would run to the hardware store and get a 99"x6" belt....

Keith Outten
03-24-2014, 8:37 AM
Bill,

I expect I will order a couple edge sanding belts from Industrial Abrasives the next time I order for my shop. Here in Gloucester County we have a Lowe's and a Home Depot and thats it so there isn't much of a selection of sand paper available. I received a nose table for this machine but I decided not to install it because I use the spindle sander for all of my radius sanding.

I put the smaller sanding spindle in the machine because I have a batch of 6" by 8" door signs coming up and they have some small radius arcs on the outside edge that need to be sanded. The big 4" spindle won't see much time in the sander :)