PDA

View Full Version : MM16 won't start - Help solicited

Glen Blanchard
03-23-2014, 8:59 PM
I used my MM16 yesterday (or perhaps the day before that) briefly. Following the cut I turned the saw off and slowed the blade by applying the foot brake - all just as I have done many times before. Today I went to use it again but now it won't start. The start button does not seem to be in its normal outward 'start' position. I confirmed that the upper and lower doors are closed completely, thus engaging their respective switches. Although I have other 220v machines in my shop, none use the same plug, so I can't confirm that it has power. My gut tells me however that the power is present and that this is a minor detail that I am overlooking. I don't see a reset switch on the motor.

Any suggestions?

Rich Riddle
03-23-2014, 9:04 PM
Usually when the start button is not in the normal position there is a lack of power at the start button. The first order of business is to check voltage at the plug and then check it at the switch.

Jeff Bartley
03-23-2014, 9:10 PM
Glen,
I think it'd be best if you just sent me the saw......it might take me awhile to fix it.....up to a year or two......
Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Seriously though, does it have a micro switch on the footbrake to turn the saw off? If you have a multi-meter just start at the socket and follow the power into the saw. I'd suspect there's a brake in power somewhere and may be the switch is a mag switch that's not getting power.
I'm sure someone with way more experience with those machines will chime in shortly.
I hope it something simple! Jeff (who would love an MM16!!)

Mike Heidrick
03-23-2014, 9:19 PM
Did you turn the red estop to reset it (pops out) and then push the on button firmly? If so try unplugging and making sure the switch is nice and clean on the inside.

Erik Loza
03-23-2014, 9:27 PM
Glen, call me tomorrow morning if you don't get the saw started by then. I'll walk you through a few test steps over the phone.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Patrick McCarthy
03-23-2014, 9:32 PM
Erik knows a lot more than me, but when my Agazanni suddenly died it was the capacitor that needed to be replaced, just a thought

Glen Blanchard
03-23-2014, 9:41 PM
Mike - I have indeed turned the red stop switch many times to try to get the start button to pop into its normal position.

I went into the shop a few minutes ago and blew compressed air over what I believe to be all three micro-switches (bottom and top doors and the foot brake) in hopes that one them clogged with sawdust. No change. The last thing I did the other day (when it was working properly) was to to engage the foot brake. I wonder if it is the foot brake (or its micro-switch) that somehow is at fault.

Erik - Would love to call you if I am unable to resolve the issue. Can you send me your phone number? If you prefer not to post it here, you can send me a PM. Thanks.

Erik Loza
03-23-2014, 9:56 PM
Glen, I'm PM'ing you my number right now. It's either a micro-switch or the coil in the main start switch. We'll figure out which one on the phone.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Thomas Hotchkin
03-23-2014, 11:08 PM
Glen
My MM16 sometimes does the same thing, I just hit the steel frame with a rubber mallet by the switch box, fixes it every time. Then again I did blow out the magnetic starter when I first got the saw off Clist. Tom

Glen Blanchard
03-24-2014, 9:07 AM
I tried Tom's rubber mallet solution to no avail. When I close either of the upper or lower doors I hear a click coming from the respective micro-switch. I then tried pushing down on the foot brake by hand with my ear in the vicinity of that micro-switch. I slowly let the foot brake pedal assume its normal position, but never hear that same click. Don't know if this is significant or not.

Erik Loza
03-24-2014, 9:28 AM
Glen, it sounds like the footbrake micro-switch needs to be adjusted.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA