PDA

View Full Version : its no blue spruce but hey!!

Robert Culver
03-23-2014, 8:29 PM

Its no Blue Spruce but I was inspired by one of his Mallets this weekend so I thought I would try to make my own. Put a little bit of lead in the head for added weight. Feels pretty good in the hand to believe It or not!! Just thought I would share!

jeff vanek
03-23-2014, 9:30 PM
Looks great, I made the exact same thing this weekend myself !

Tony Wilkins
03-23-2014, 9:31 PM
Don't think you have any reason to downplay this effort. From here it looks as good as Dave's offerings and saying that I'm a big fan of his tools. Good work bud.

Robert Culver
03-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the complements guys!! Im a big fan of Daves work as a matter of fact I just placed a order for a couple of his skew chisels and would love to his his offering of this mallet but I promised myself to cut back on my tool budget a little this year since im looking to adding a actual shop in time and that will be a big project...

Jim Koepke
03-24-2014, 2:06 AM
That is a nice looking mallet.

I knocked out the mortise in a birch mallet head a few days ago. Was hoping my bandsaw blades, to cut the handle, would be here on Friday.

After making a few mallets it doesn't seem right to buy one.

jtk

Daniel Rode
03-24-2014, 9:34 AM
That's a really nice looking mallet. I like the shape of the handle. Seems like it would allow you to choke up to take lighter taps.

Making a mallet is on my todo list. I hope mine comes out half that well.

Robert Culver
03-24-2014, 9:44 AM
you hit it right on the head Daniel you can choke up and be comfortable or you can take a full swing from the base of the handle and its comfortable in the hand. at least mine anyway the added lead makes it feel like a beast but not so heavy that I think it will be cumbersome!

Chris Griggs
03-24-2014, 9:47 AM
Very nice mallet!

Jim Koepke
03-24-2014, 1:27 PM
the added lead makes it feel like a beast

So how did you add the lead?

Any other tips learned in the project to pass on?

jtk

Robert Culver
03-24-2014, 3:03 PM
saw this on a you tube video.. what I did was spit the head into 3 sections the center piece is the same thickness as the tenon on the mallet then I drilled a 1 1/8 inch hole in the front and back of the center piece staying back from the face and the center as much as I could then I cut the center out of it the width of the tenon and I angled it slightly maybe 2 deg to allow for wedges in the top of the mallet. I then glue the bottom and the center pieces up leaving the top off....Then you fill the holes with lead I used lead bbs like shot gun shot and a couple of pieces of tungsten to beef it up a bit more. then I filled the voids between the shot with some 2 part epoxy so it wouldn't shake and move around but you could skip this step. once its all dried I glued the top of it on. then you can shape the head and handle once its all shaped glue and wedge the handle. I guess the biggest tip would be to make sure the shot is level with the top so it doesn't effect the top piece when you do your final glue up.

Jim Koepke
03-24-2014, 3:30 PM
Thanks for the write up Robert.

It didn't look like a laminated head, so that made me wonder. Now looking closer one seam is visible.

If the epoxy was left out for the lead bbs to "float" it would work like a dead blow mallet.

jtk

Tony Wilkins
03-24-2014, 3:55 PM
For those looking to do their own, Roy Underhill did a version on his last episode of the year. http://video.pbs.org/video/2365021538/

Robert Culver
03-24-2014, 4:20 PM
I considered leaving the bbs to float but wanted to see how it would work if they were not I cut some dovetails with it today and it feels great the leather face is nice to I have never had one with a leather face just a wood is good mallet . i could have done a better job on the laminating if I would have taken a little more time with it but hey nothing is prefect right ?? heck it was a quick easy project and i have plenty of scrap if I want to make another one. something to beat the winter time blues lol!!