PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench Progress

Brian Triplett
06-21-2005, 1:36 PM
Hey gang,
I thought you might be interested in seeing the work bench I'm working on go through some stages. First off is the base, it is constructed using southern yellow pine, naming 2x8’s and 2x10’s that have been glued together jointed and planed. I got the basic plan from http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_improvement/furniture/1302961.html. Now the top is going to be made of some old hickory boards (~2” thick and ~6” wide) that a friend gave me from his house that he cut up from hurricane damage about eight years ago, they have been drying under his house sense then. There should be a picture showing them. The plan is to take these boards and rip them and glue them back together in a quarter sawn pattern to help add strength. Not having enough hickory to go around the bench as a skirt I will probably get some hard maple to finish it up. I just finished the base this weekend and will be adding pictures as progress continues. Hope you enjoy.

Brian Triplett
06-21-2005, 1:42 PM
problems with pic's, sorry

Brian Triplett
06-21-2005, 1:43 PM
Few More...

Jeff Sudmeier
06-21-2005, 2:05 PM
Brian, that sure looks like it is going to be a beefy bench!! Keep us updated :)

Chris Padilla
06-21-2005, 3:01 PM
Brian,

Very nice-looking meaty (Jeff took beefy) bench! I am curious about the location of your bench. Is the spot you currently have it in the photos (well the 3 pics in your last post (#3)) where you plan to have it reside?

I ask this because I happen to have what appears to be a very similar spot in my garage where I am thinking to place my bench. See the pic below.

My only issue is that I *think* I want to make the bench more or less permanent there but it only provides me access to two sides of the bench. I think I may regret this later on in my ww'ing life but it really is a nice spot for what I am thinking.

Either that or I need to make my bench mobile....

Brian Triplett
06-21-2005, 3:25 PM
The last picture does show its finial resting place, until we move, but the problem I have is that I'm working in a single car garage that is starting to over flow and I have a 16" bandsaw coming, guest that is what you guys call a sleath gloat :eek: The vises will be coming from Lee Valley and will be located on the right side and the front left. Pic's to come on that....

Ken Fitzgerald
06-21-2005, 3:27 PM
Brian that's going to be a wonderful bench! I'll warn you though.....reading Chris's post I was waiting for him to advice you to ship the finished bench to him and he'd try it out and report back to you with the results! :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Bill Stevener
06-21-2005, 4:18 PM
What do I think????, Well a new wood lathe will look like the top on a trophy, looks like it would be shake proof and vibration free. I know several turners that would enjoy the one you are constructing.

Good looking bench.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Roy Wall
06-21-2005, 4:19 PM
Brian - that looks terrific! Solid - heavy ..........nice job:)