PDA

View Full Version : Thickness Gauge - 20" Chinese Planer

Mike Chalmers
03-23-2014, 5:16 PM
Planer is a CX 20 from Busy Bee, however, it is identical to the Grizzly and King Canada models.
The thickness gauge sucks. Anyone had any luck mounting a digital gauge like this to one of these (http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DIGITAL-REMOTE-READOUT-0-12IN.-IN%7B47%7D-METRIC.html)? Tapping screw holds is probably not an option for me, I do not have the tools or skill set. Maybe JB Weld?

Dennis Ford
03-23-2014, 8:19 PM
You may be selling yourself short. Tapping threads into cast iron is not that difficult (at least for 8-32 screws and larger). Get the right size drill bit and a good quality tap (you don't need a whole set). Drill the hole deep (through holes are easier to tap), lube the tap and have at it with partial turns forward and reverse.

Erik Loza
03-23-2014, 8:55 PM
...Tapping threads into cast iron is not that difficult (at least for 8-32 screws and larger). Get the right size drill bit and a good quality tap (you don't need a whole set). Drill the hole deep (through holes are easier to tap), lube the tap and have at it with partial turns forward and reverse.

This ^^^

Nothing to be afraid of, just take your time. Search videos on Youtube; there must be a million on this topic. I would NOT use JB Weld or another epoxy for the reason that well, it would be permanent.

Good luck.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mike Chalmers
03-23-2014, 8:56 PM
More interested in finding out if anyone actually installed this or something similar.

Erik Loza
03-23-2014, 9:15 PM
More interested in finding out if anyone actually installed this or something similar.

Google image-search "Wixey planer gauge"...

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Mike Heidrick
03-23-2014, 9:26 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e169/BloomingtonMike/digplaner.jpg

DavidH on hobbymachinist forum sells the igaging scales super cheap. They have a remote readout. Mine was an old cheap one I think I bought here or on woodnet used.

I rarely use it though - I just grab calipers. I know the handle positions at just before 3/4" to allow for sanding. The manual gauge gets me to close enough to start. I have segmented infeed rollers too so it makes a bit easier when the wood is different thicknesses.

Loren Woirhaye
03-23-2014, 9:42 PM
Drilling and tapping is no big deal. For me, figuring out how I wanted to attach it was trickier. I had to bend one of the brackets to fit the rounded casting. I think I used a hammer and anvil.

Mike Chalmers
03-24-2014, 4:22 AM
Drilling and tapping is no big deal. For me, figuring out how I wanted to attach it was trickier. I had to bend one of the brackets to fit the rounded casting. I think I used a hammer and anvil.

Thanks for this useful information. Looks like the one I linked to, as opposed to the Wixie.

Bryan Cowing
03-24-2014, 5:49 AM
I have a powermatic 20. I mounted the remote Wixey using screws already on the machine. Keep the wixey low to prevent it from being hit.

Dan Blackshear
04-02-2014, 5:55 PM
Sorry for the late reply but I just happened to remember your question while I had my camera in the shop today.

You may have already gotten your DRO installed but in case you haven't or someone else has the same question, this was how I temporarily installed mine.

I have just never gotten around to drilling and tapping the hole for the bracket to put in a proper bolt. :o

286294 286295286296