PDA

View Full Version : Missing bushings

Lee Schierer
03-23-2014, 4:59 PM
My daughter is selling her house and the house inspector reported that " Bushings are missing from around branch wires entering the panel." He included the attached photo to show the problem, but I don't understand what is missing.285498 What do these bushing look like and can they be installed without removing all the wires in question?

Brian Elfert
03-23-2014, 5:19 PM
Bushings are a plastic piece where wires enter a box of some sort. My understanding with Romex type cables that a bushing is typically not required. The inside edges of cable clamps are designed not to cut or damage Romex type cable. Every home electrical box I've ever seen with Romex type cable does not have bushings and just has cable clamps like the picture.

The wire that is questionable is the ground wire. There could be a concern that the ground wire could get damaged by the rough metal edges. I would clarify with the inspector if the concern is the ground wire, or the Romex type cables. If it was me I would just run the ground wire through one of the clamps and be done with it.

Looking at the picture again does the left hand clamp have individual wires instead of Romex type cable? That could require a bushing. Your daughter might need to consult an electrician.

Lee Schierer
03-23-2014, 5:34 PM
Can't talk with the home inspector, he was hired by the buyers.....

I think that he is talking about the grey wire behind all the black ones that you can't see how it enters the box. It is the neutral wire for the sub-panel in the garage.

Michael Mahan
03-23-2014, 5:38 PM
it's a small plastic (PVC) 1/2 to 3/4" long fitting that is added at the hole (slips in tapered fit ),I just had more 120/220 lines added to my shop & the inspector called them out ,
you can add them by taking a thin kerf saw cut to the bushing to get the wire inside of it & then when pushed into place the cut closes .
it's meant to make sure that IF the deburring wasn't done well enuff then the wire jacket will not get cut

Jerome Stanek
03-23-2014, 5:47 PM
They are called red heads but I think the home inspector doesn't know what he is talking about. We only use those on mc cable.

Michael Mahan
03-23-2014, 5:50 PM
Can't talk with the home inspector, he was hired by the buyers.....

I think that he is talking about the grey wire behind all the black ones that you can't see how it enters the box. It is the neutral wire for the sub-panel in the garage.

IF that is a hired inspector & NOT a city code inspector then the buyer is trying to force you into upgrading the box .
I say it's nit picking
the city inspector said it wasn't needed to be code but he 'Liked' seeing them , my electrician's owner said he used them to save time on a install . as the boss of the electricians came by inspecting his workers install days later after the work was done & city inspected . He noted that they missed one . He then told me I could add one by making a cut in one & slipping it on . he then stuck his finger into the hole & said it was deburred correctly

Phil Thien
03-23-2014, 6:54 PM
I can't tell much from the picture, but cables cannot enter through a knockout that is not fitted with some sort of UL-approved cable clamp. The clamp has to be approved for the type of cable used. So if there are any wires entering through a knockout that isn't fitted with some sort of clamp, then you'd have to add one.

The term "bushing" is typically used in reference to the red plastic liners used on BX/MC (armored cables) to prevent the shield from cutting through the insulation on the conductors.

Hard to tell from the pic but I think you have a knockout with no clamp.

Myk Rian
03-24-2014, 11:10 AM
Not sure what Phil is referring to.
The circle doesn't indicate the problem. It should be around the wire coming through the box, with nothing around it. Stick a rubber panel bushing around it.

Ed Griner
03-25-2014, 5:55 AM
Lee, Your panel looks fine, you can always call your local electrical inspector (a real inspector) for a second opinion at the home inspector's expense!

Phil Thien
03-25-2014, 9:49 AM
Not sure what Phil is referring to.
The circle doesn't indicate the problem. It should be around the wire coming through the box, with nothing around it. Stick a rubber panel bushing around it.

Cables have to be secured where they enter the box. You can't just install a rubber grommet.

Here, I'm including a new pic with a red arrow. It is hard to tell with the pic, but the red arrow points to what looks like a hole in the box through which cables enter, where there is no clamp. If my eyes don't deceive me, then that needs to be corrected for code compliance. It is very difficult to tell from the pic, that could be a shadow. The spacing (to the other holes) would be odd, too, but someone could have drilled/punched a hole.

BUT, there IS a gray wire that appears to come out of nowhere. I'm thinking it is coming through a hole that was drilled/punched in the box, and no clamp was used. That wouldn't pass inspection.

Myk Rian
03-25-2014, 10:39 AM
Yeah. That is a hidden hole.

Larry Edgerton
03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
All the home inspectors that I know personally are failed contractors. You have to keep that and their fragile egos in mind when dealing with them. I figure if I ever have a lobotomy I will be a home inspector.

Larry

Phil Thien
03-25-2014, 3:30 PM
All the home inspectors that I know personally are failed contractors. You have to keep that and their fragile egos in mind when dealing with them. I figure if I ever have a lobotomy I will be a home inspector.

Larry

I think you're giving them too much credit.

The best inspector I ever used was actually an architect. He, too, was worthless.