PDA

View Full Version : Universal vs Epilog opinions?

Weston Porter
03-23-2014, 6:37 AM
Howdy,

I came on here a few months ago for advice on a 40w machine and after chatting I decided to continue saving for a 75w as I need to do more cutting than engraving. I'm approaching that goal and I'd appreciate a fresh outlook on the two brands. Specially, I'm looking at the Helix 75 or PLS4.75. Longevity, depreciation, support and versatility are my four biggest concerns.

As far as longevity and depreciation, I'd like to know much life I can expect out of the machine if business goes well and the odds of getting a good percentage of my investment back if it doesn't. In the realm of support, how often (if ever) do you need a technician to come out or to speak to support in person? I've largely based my preference on an Epilog on the fact that I'll be living less than an hour away from their factory in Colorado but is that really a benefit or just silly? On versatility, I've been looking more and more at a ULS for the programmable z-axis and job control, does Epilog have a unique advantage I've missed and is one rotary system better than the other?

I appreciate it.

So far as Trotec goes, I realize it's probably the best brand available in my range but I'd just prefer a US machine.

Scott Shepherd
03-23-2014, 1:10 PM
Epilog is easier to use, Universal gives you a lot more controls over various things. Best I recall, Helix doesn't have a programmable Z Axis, PLS does. Universal has a Job Control system and Helix does not. I did a review between those 2 machines years ago and I don't think much has changed on either of them to date as far as the differences. Search for it and you'll find a lengthy comparison. Both have excellent tech support and both will serve you well. It's personal preference on how you like your workflow to work.