PDA

View Full Version : Veritas carcass saws

David Dalzell
03-23-2014, 5:57 AM
I am thinking of buying the crosscut and rip carcass saw pair from Lee Valley. These would be my first set of carcass saws. I have the Veritas dovetail saws and they are quite comfortable in my hand. Does any one have experiance with these carcass saws and could comment on their friendliness/useability? Thanks.

ken hatch
03-23-2014, 10:20 AM
I am thinking of buying the crosscut and rip carcass saw pair from Lee Valley. These would be my first set of carcass saws. I have the Veritas dovetail saws and they are quite comfortable in my hand. Does any one have experiance with these carcass saws and could comment on their friendliness/useability? Thanks.

Go for it. I have a saw jones with way too many saws in my till, many are top end back saws some costing 2 or 3 times as much as the Veritas (a few not so high end as well), the saws I will reach for more often than not are the Veritas. BTW their new Large Tenon saws are great. About the only negative to the Veritas saws is they can be a little harder to start than some others. Not really hard but just need a softer touch, which you should use anyway.

Rob Lee
03-23-2014, 10:24 AM
David -

Anything you buy from us can be returned if you don't like it. We pay the return shipping too, and refund your original shipping. It's a no-risk proposition.

Having said that - if you have the dovetail saws and like them - go for it!

Cheers -

Rob

Anthony Moumar
03-23-2014, 11:06 AM
I have the veritas crosscut carcass saw and I had the rip one but I sold it. It's easily my most used saw. If you have really big hands the grip might be a bit tight but if the dovetail saws for you well I'd assume the carcass saw will. I've used a few of the higher priced saws and the veritas saws are every bit as capable.

It depends on what type of work you do but you should think about whether or not you need both. I found that I never really used the rip carcass saw. Most of the time I was reaching for a bigger tenon saw for jobs that the rip carcass saw might be useful for. For the very few times where I need the carcass saw for a rip cut I just use the crosscut saw. It's not that bad at rip cuts.

bob blakeborough
03-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Definitely great saws, especially for the price point! I don't think you could get a better product for the money. You can spend a whole lot more and still not make any appreciable improvement to your sawing abilities...

The boutique saws you can buy are super sweet as well, but they won't make you a better sawyer than you would be using an equivalent Veritas saw.

Jim Matthews
03-23-2014, 5:51 PM
These saws are very finely set.

Be prepared to take your time with them,
more force won't make the cut faster
or better...

David Dalzell
03-23-2014, 6:44 PM
Well I do love the Veritas dovetail saws I have. I have tried other dovetail saws but they just didn't work for me. So it looks like I will get the Veritas carcass saw pair. I have always been completely satisfied with all my Veritas tools, and I believe I will be equally happy with the Carcass saws, (and the 1/8" & 3/16" PM-V11 chisels, and the large router plane, and the . . . .). Iused to think the slippery slope had a bottom somewhere; but I suspect there is no bottom to this slope. In fact it keeps getting steeper, steeper, and more slippery. But I am a happy slider. Thanks Rob et al.

paul cottingham
03-23-2014, 6:51 PM
They are fantastic saws, especially for the money. Easily my most "reached for" saws, and that includes some very nice old disstons, and a Bad Axe saw that i love. You will not be disappointed.

Tony Wilkins
03-23-2014, 6:54 PM
I've always sort of looked over the Veritas molded back saws because other makers much 'prettier' saws. I've had such good luck with all the Veritas tools I've had and these have such glowing reviews; I might have to try one some time.

Glenn Samuels
03-23-2014, 7:24 PM
David,

I have both the crosscut and the rip saw from LV. There is a short break in period to remove the burrs and then they work quite well. I highly recommend them.

Megan Fitzpatrick
03-24-2014, 10:55 AM
We have them both in the PWM shop – best saws for the price, no question (you'll experience a slight break-in period during which the teeth are grabby, but that's true of just about any new/newly sharpened saw)

Tony Wilkins
03-24-2014, 11:23 AM
I've been spoiled by Mark Harrell. How do these compare with his saws?

paul cottingham
03-24-2014, 1:27 PM
I have a Bad Axe sash saw, and it is easily one of my favorite tools, period. I use my two LV carcass saws more because they are smaller, and a little more versatile. Easier to leave out on the bench, too.
To answer your question, for the money, they compare favourably to my Bad Axe saw. To be clear they are not as "good" (whatever that means) as Mark's offering, but I would not part with mine. And the value can't be beat.

ken hatch
03-24-2014, 2:51 PM
I've been spoiled by Mark Harrell. How do these compare with his saws?

Depends on what you value. They are not as pretty, you can not customize them i.e. have brass backs for cross cut and stainless for rip like I have done my Bad Axe. Did I say they are not as pretty? With Bad Axe you build your saw to your specs and they are pretty. Do Bad Axe saws saw any better? I have a near full set of Bad Axe and love 'em, I also have a near full set of Veritas saws.....not much difference in the performance between Bad Axe and Veritas but the Bad Axe sure are pretty.

Tony Wilkins
03-24-2014, 2:53 PM
Depends on what you value. They are not as pretty, you can not customize them i.e. have brass backs for cross cut and stainless for rip like I have done my Bad Axe. Did I say they are not as pretty? With Bad Axe you build your saw to your specs and they are pretty. Do Bad Axe saws saw any better? I have a near full set of Bad Axe and love 'em, I also have a near full set of Veritas saws.....not much difference in the performance between Bad Axe and Veritas but the Bad Axe sure are pretty.

Yes they are and Mark's really good to deal with - of course working with Rob's folks has always been great too.

Cody Kemble
03-24-2014, 3:03 PM
+1 on Mark being great to deal with. He custom built my saw while I was deployed on a submarine and had limited communication capabilities. I got it about a week after I pulled in. They just look so damn good.

Gary Muto
03-24-2014, 5:15 PM
I have the saws too. They are not as easy to start as a dovetail saw for sure. I'm glad to read that there is a break in period too. I've only used them for a few cuts while I'm setting up and moving into my new shop. The cut well and leave a small kerf once you are going.