PDA

View Full Version : Workbench - getting there

Joe A Faulkner
03-23-2014, 1:09 AM
I thought about waiting until the bench was completely done before posting any pictures, but thought I'd go ahead and share my progress. I plan to add a tool cabinet for below the bench, allowing enough clearance for hold fasts. The lumber (hard maple with some spalting) is locally harvested. The top measures 7' x 23 1/4" x 3 1/4" thick. The bench is 34" tall. The wooden screw was made by Matthew Evans (the Traditional Carpenter and sometimes creeker) here in Indiana. The tail vise is a Veritas Twin Screw that I picked up here in the classifieds. I hope to get the round dog holes bored tomorrow.
There is a groove in the underside of the bench to accommodate a sliding deadman, and some day I want to build a storage cabinet (Shakerish style) below the bench. This has been something I've wanted to build for several years. Now that it is nearly ready for use, I'm looking forward to doing more hand tool work. Of course I need to clean the shop and rearrange a few things to make room for the bench. It is nice to have it off of my outfeed table! It took me over four months to build. Too many Saturdays occupied with pushing snow around this winter, plus I am slow.

David M Anderson
03-23-2014, 2:33 AM
That is sweet..
Nice job so far..

Jim Koepke
03-23-2014, 2:51 AM
Very impressive.

jtk

jeff vanek
03-23-2014, 8:44 AM
Where did you get the maple? I'm not to far from you

Mark Engel
03-23-2014, 9:37 AM
I does look sufficiently massive, and a good looking bench. Should provide a few decades of service.

Chris Griggs
03-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Looks great man!

Bobby O'Neal
03-23-2014, 3:19 PM
Looks really good, Joe.

Dave Anderson NH
03-23-2014, 3:46 PM
Nice job Joe. You will not believe how much it will help your work having a bench made to your specifications and sized to fit you. Benches are just one of many places where one size does not fit all. The tough part coming up is when you start working with it and put that first scratch on the top.:)

Tony Wilkins
03-23-2014, 4:42 PM
Very Nice. Please let me know how you like the tail vise you're using.

Winton Applegate
03-24-2014, 12:08 AM
Way to go !
Massive !
Strong like bull!

Locally harvested maple. That's really cool. A connection to your local environment.
If I waited to "finish" my bench I would not have used it yet.
Mine is the perfect hight for me now but I have not made the final base for it so you are way ahead of me.

Thank you for putting up all the great photos.

Joe A Faulkner
03-24-2014, 6:14 PM
Where did you get the maple? I'm not to far from you
I grew up in Southern Indiana, near Louisville. Bonesteel Portable Sawmill and Milling has a yard in Sellersburg and another one in Paris Crossing.
Here in Lafayette, Cassens Trees is a good source for 4/4, but he doesn't have any 8/4 maple. I use another lumber wholesaler in Attica Indiana, Series Hardwood - no web site. They carry 8/4 and are nice people, but their prices don't compete with Bonesteel. I paid $2 bf for hard maple. I think he is currently asking $2.25. He has QSW Cherry for for $3. I wish he were closer.

Jim Matthews
03-24-2014, 6:48 PM
I particularly like the simple, and orderly way the tools are arrayed.

No fancy doors, drawers or intarsia inlays.
I'll bet there's actual sawdust and shavings on the floor to.

Just as it should be.