PDA

View Full Version : Oak Burl

Steve Doerr
03-22-2014, 6:35 PM
Earlier this week I read on another forum there was an oak burl that was going to be removed on Friday. The poster, who lives in Ontario, said the burl was in Oklahoma and was wondering if anyone was interested. I PMed him and found that it was less than 100 miles from where I live. So on Friday morning I jumped in my truck and went for a ride. You can see from the pictures what followed me home.

Some rides in the truck prove to be better than others:D
Steve

jwjerry w kowalski
03-22-2014, 7:33 PM
You lucky dog, that looks like a treasure of highly figured wood.

Thomas Canfield
03-22-2014, 8:50 PM
Quite a haul. Are the ground pictures after unloading? How did you manage the loading/unloading? I have found several local tree removal crews happy to load my truck to avoid having to haul off wood. I can usually drag the wood off the truck, but the last Elm trunk must have been over 400# and I got a neighbor to help to avoid using a come-a-long.

robert baccus
03-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Nice wood yeah. You guys try too hard. Tie it to a tree and put it in go. On one that big remove the tailgate before it does.

Rich Aldrich
03-23-2014, 8:16 AM
Nice burl. Congrats on the score. There is a lot of wood there.

Bill Hensley
03-23-2014, 8:28 AM
Congrats on getting it home, must have been quite a load for the pickup. The next problem is how and where to start the dissection. Good luck with that!

Bob Rotche
03-23-2014, 8:36 AM
Nice score and I'm sure it will yield some gorgeous turnings but my back is starting to hurt just looking at it!

Dennis Nagle
03-23-2014, 9:40 PM
Save your chain saw chain and pressure wash it first. There should be a lot of cool wood in that thing.

Steve Doerr
03-23-2014, 10:31 PM
Dennis, I power washed it before I unloaded it. What a mess. I'm also going to power wash it again before I attack it with a chainsaw. I have several old blades that I will start with. I know that even with the power wash and trying to remove the rocks I will still have debris that will destroy my blades.
Steve