View Full Version : Southern yellow pine workbench builders

jeff vanek
03-22-2014, 6:11 PM
I'm in the process of building a roubo workbench and I've got the top all glued up on saw horses. I've been using the top to chop mortises in the legs and surprised how soft the SYP is....So for all the people that have used SYP for your top, are you happy you used it or wish you used maple or ash ?

John Sanford
03-23-2014, 2:36 AM
I'm in the process of building a roubo workbench and I've got the top all glued up on saw horses. I've been using the top to chop mortises in the legs and surprised how soft the SYP is....So for all the people that have used SYP for your top, are you happy you used it or wish you used maple or ash ?

I'm using hard and soft maple for mine, but i was doing a bit of trimming today on some pine boards on my "back wall" unit. Two of the boards were nice and soft, but one was HARD. The difference? The amount of resin and age of the board. SYP has a LOT of resin, and over time that resin will harden quite nicely. Best of both worlds. Soft now when you're working it, but harder later when you're using the bench.

lowell holmes
03-23-2014, 12:18 PM
The benches at Homestead Heritage Woodworking School (Elm Mott, Texas) are all SYP. There were no issues with the benches.

I bought a maple top for mine and put it on SYP .

Dennis Ford
03-23-2014, 1:09 PM
If some scratches and dents on your workbench will bother you, make it from Osage Orange and don't use it much; it will look great.

jeff vanek
03-23-2014, 1:26 PM
The benches at Homestead Heritage Woodworking School (Elm Mott, Texas) are all SYP. There were no issues with the benches.

I bought a maple top for mine and put it on SYP .

thats what I'm worried about, the top, not the legs. Why didn't you use SYP for the top?

Joe O'Connor
03-23-2014, 7:39 PM
I built my bench with syp, top and all the only problem I've had are two small gaps opening in the ends of the lamination. I built the bench two years ago and haven't had any issues with flatness or durability. I also think the gaps are my fault for not cutting off the planer snipe completely.