PDA

View Full Version : Spray Finishing Question

Michael Gabbay
06-21-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm about ready to get into spray finishing. I'm working on a bathroom vanity and tub apron that will be sprayed with colored lacquer (semi gloss white). I'll be spraying with a PC PSH1 HVLP gun and Homestead Finishing has recommend a 1.7mm tip. My compressor will probably complain, its a PC 15 gallon.

So here's my question - Since the lacquer is water based (Oxford USL) is there a problem if I spray in my basement shop? I will wear a NIOSH approved respirator and will rig up a small box fan/filter to help exhaust the room. Also the tools and stuff will be draped so as not to get any over spray on them.

Any other tips for a newbie sprayer?

Thanks, Mike

Jim Becker
06-21-2005, 10:44 PM
The key is to look at the container of the finish...it should list the risks on the label. In general, most of the water bourne finishes are as safe to use indoors as latex house paint. They are usually low- or no-VOC. You do need to use the respirator to keep particulates out of your lungs and I find that my air filtration system helps catch a lot of that from the air, too.

Overspray protection is largely to help make clean-up easier...nearly all overspray will be dry before it hits anything so it leaves a powdery residue over a fairly wide area. Don't assume that because you are using an "HVLP" spray system that there isn't any overspray! There is plenty...just less than an ordiary gun, relatively speaking... :)

Michael Gabbay
06-22-2005, 8:17 AM
Hey Jim Thanks for the response.

I printed the MSDS for the Oxford USL and they do not mention anything about spraying in a well ventilated area. I'd rather not do it in the garage at this time. It's full of bathroom fixtures and leftover materials etc. In the future I'll probably set up a knock-down style spray booth there.

Mike

Jim Becker
06-22-2005, 9:50 AM
Do not "minimize" the need to protect your self when spraying. While these WB products are not explosive and much, much safer from a medical standpoint, they are still sprayed finishes that place a lot of stuff in the air. But they are "safe" to spray indoors with reasonable care...not something you can say about solvent-based finishes.

Michael Gabbay
06-22-2005, 9:55 AM
Totally agree. I'd never consider spraying solvent inside like this. One thing I will probably do is install an exhaust fan. I have an old 6" vent from the cooktop that is no longer being used. I was going to get a large kitchen/bathroom fan to put in. That should at least keep the mist somewhat contained.

Mike

Curt Harms
06-22-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi Michael

I have a setup much like you.. C-H 11 gal. oilless compressor, PSH1 gun. I spray in my small items in my basement with no problems. The compressor runs less than 50% of the time. If I were spraying large surfaces I might have an issue with an overworked compressor. You might try hooking the gun up and squeeze the trigger with no fluid in it to get a feel for how much compressor runtime you could expect. Also think about where you're going to put the gun while you move your work, answer the phone etc.

I cover the bench with newspapers, try to anticipate where any overspray will land and cover that. I spray under a suspended air cleaner and haven't noticed any finish where it wasn't intended. I run just enough air pressure (usually about 25 psi at the gun inlet) for good atomization. I play with the fluid and fan controls a bit for each job; I don't do enough to have a real good feel for the different materials. Have fun.

Curt

Scott Parks
06-22-2005, 9:24 PM
Last week, I sprayed waterbase for the first time with my HVLP. It was only a small, quick job. So I didn't put on the respirator. And, I sprayed outdoors. BAD IDEA. I thought water base wouldn't need a respirator. I could actually "taste" the finish, and had the mist in my nose. So, for the next coats, I put on the mask.