PDA

View Full Version : Question: Dado cutting on a table saw

Scott Rychnovsky
03-22-2014, 10:43 AM
I used to have a right-tilting table saw that I used to cut dados. The arbor stop was on the right, so the distance to the fence scale was correct with any blade including a dado stack. I recently upgraded to a saw stop TS, which has a left-tilting design. Now the arbor stop is on the left. When I put in a dado stacked blade the distance to the fence scale is different depending upon the thickness of the dado set. Do you have advice on how to deal with it?

I could just ignore the fence scale and measure from the blade to the fence. It is less convenient, but it would work. Alternatively, I could cut dado's with the fence to the left of the blade, in which case the fence scale should now be correct. However, I only have about a foot of range with the fence to the left.

I guess a third alternative would be to set the fence scale to the left edge of the blade, which would always be correct. It would create a mental challenge whenever I set up a cut. :o

What type of workflow do you all recommend when cutting dado closet with a table saw?

Scott

Dick Brown
03-22-2014, 11:21 AM
Measure or if you really want to use the fence scale, add the width of the stack to the measurement.

Art Mann
03-22-2014, 11:26 AM
I have never had a right tilt table saw so I have always just used a precision measuring stick to set the distance from the fence to the blade. If I want 1/32" or better precision, I will always check the distance anyway, even doing a rip cut. It just isn't that much effort to me.

Dick Brown
03-22-2014, 3:14 PM
If you don't like to measure, try this! ( http://www.wixey.com/fence/index.html ) Sounds like something that would be fun as well as useful. Do a search here for others that own one's opinions.

Alan Bienlein
03-22-2014, 4:49 PM
If you don't like to measure, try this! ( http://www.wixey.com/fence/index.html ) Sounds like something that would be fun as well as useful. Do a search here for others that own one's opinions.

^^^^This^^^^^

Bill Huber
03-22-2014, 5:56 PM
I have never used the scale on the saw, it is just not accurate on my saw, it is off about a 1/16" in 20 inches and I just never got a new one.
I always use the fence to blade measurement until now, I have the Wixey like Dick show and I would not give it up for anything.

It is so easy to use and I can use it with a dado set or I can use it with the stop block on the fence.

Myk Rian
03-22-2014, 6:46 PM
I could just ignore the fence scale and measure from the blade to the fence.
You already answered your Q.

Alan Schwabacher
03-22-2014, 6:48 PM
I had exactly the same change, for exactly the same reason. I add the dado width less the kerf of my standard blade to my fence setting. But now that I think of it, I'm more likely to use a sled with a stopblock than the fence when cutting dados.

Scott Rychnovsky
03-22-2014, 9:22 PM
Thank you for all the advice. I will probably just measure it or make due with the scale, adding in corrections as suggested by Alan. (Alan!!) I am not ready to go digital, in part because everything else in my life is digital, and I am not sure I want it on my table saw.

I have been satisfied using the tape scale on my TS for setting up standard cuts. I found it to be more accurate than a tape measure, which was the normal alternative.

Scott

Dick Brown
03-23-2014, 11:13 AM
JUST DAWNED ON ME!!! After reading the info both from the rest of you guys and from the ad on the Wixey, if you really want to use the rule on your fence rail and there is room to do it on the fence, just slide the fence up to the dado stack, put on a temporary curser at "O" and you are good to go. Curser could be just a sliver of tape, fine wire or pointed metal held on with a magnet or???