PDA

View Full Version : Just a rehab

steven c newman
03-21-2014, 8:20 PM
Of a Victor #1104. Came in the mail looking a little ....scruffy285349spider nests and al:eek:l285350No projects to work on, kind of bored away. So, after a few hours285351Got it cleaned up, got the parts there were supposed to be red, red. The iron took the longest to do. Instead of a hollow in the back, it was bulged back there:eek:. Took awhile to get it flat, and sharp. Might be alright, for the first finish plane, with a seond one to finish things off.285352 this was the replace a Stanley Dunlap #4, that I used to get some rough stuff smooth. Hey, at least I had fun with it...:D

Pete Hotard
03-21-2014, 8:45 PM
Very nice work. I have been really enjoying rehabing some old planes lately. Kind of a nice break from the usual wood projects.

steven c newman
03-22-2014, 2:05 AM
Well, I can get a see through shaving in the middle third of the iron. The two outside edges, only if I tilt one way or the other. Rechecked the sole, yep, straightedge shows at least one edge of the sole is higher than the middle. Looks like I'll be working on the sole some more. Otherwise, a decent enough, small smoother. Did "re-fresh" the finish on the handles. Seems I had a bit of 3in1 oil on the hands, and it got rubbed into the exposed wood. Looks good, almost like new. An "oil" finish???

Ok, so some more work on the sole is in order, not that bad a deal...

Frederick Skelly
03-22-2014, 5:57 AM
Looks good from here! Nothing wrong with your "oil" finish, either.
Enjoy!
Fred

Pat Barry
03-22-2014, 10:26 AM
You are getting to be quite good at rehabbing these finds of yours. Congrats on the nice work!

steven c newman
03-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Seems to work ...Ok285390285391285392 Yep. That shaving came from the edge of a 2x4x24" long board, shaving was full length of the board. And you can see through it. Might just have the original iron sharp enough?

steven c newman
03-26-2014, 3:23 PM
Ok, the sole needed a bit of flattening, trying to get almost a full width shaving. Got out a 100 grit belt ( I bought the wrong size belt, had to use it someplace) and set things up285720 a 12 x12 floor tile. The two battens to tighten the belt up. Slipped a few extra sheets of sandpaper under the belt. Marked the sole with a sharpie285721and went to work. Everything is clamped in place on the plane, the iron has been retracted enough to be out of the way. Stopped a few time to clear off the black dust ( and getting black stuff all over my hands) until the black lines were all gone285723or, at least good enough for the girls i go with. Eased the outside edges as well. Time to take a test drive285724Hmm, maybe a wax on the sole to complete the job? Since this was all set up, went and worked over two other planes. A Dunlap #3DBB that had a LOT of pitting. Got most of it clean up, but not off. Doesn't seem to hurt anything. Plane number three? Another Dunlap #3, this one is "Special" It has a METRIC sized iron, and the plane is from West Germany, according to the stamp onthe iron. It also has a York pitch to the frog. Seemed to clean up nicely285725will have to take the iron out, and give it a good sharpening, though. Does have a few nicks. Now, all cleaned and polished up285726 but, there seems to be a waiting list285727 see anybody you know?? Hint: That RED one is an Ohio Tool Co. 05c.....There is also a Four Square Junior Jack sitting there.