PDA

View Full Version : Got bit by the Cobra... well maybe not bit.

Bill Huber
03-21-2014, 5:31 PM
I was working on some lock miters today and use the Infinity Lock Miter jig, which I just love, to set up the bit. Took the jig off the bit and l set it on the corner of the router table to make a test cut. I did not have the blast gate open on the fence and got a lot of dust on top of the table.

I got the hose from the Dust Cobra (which I won form the Creek, and again Thank You) to vacuum up the dust, I am sure at this point you can see what happened.

Well just as I came across the table with the hose the jig disappeared, right up the hose. No problem, I will just take the can off and get it out, I had just dumped the can yesterday so there would be very little dust in it.

Got the can off and it was not there, checked the sides of the can because the jig has nice magnets on it but still no jig. At this point I figured it must have stuck in the hose, took the hose off and no jig. So now I take the motor off the top of the cyclone, it's not there, looked down the center of the cyclone and no jig to be seen.

Now I have to move the drill press and unmount the cyclone (see image, it is not easy to get to) and put it on the bench to look up into the cyclone and there it was stuck to the side of the cyclone. The opening is to small to get my hand in and my small parts grabber is just not long enough to reach it. Tried bumping the cyclone on the bench but it would not move, had to put a hook on a dowel rod to get it out.

So an hour later I am back to cutting the lock miters......

glenn bradley
03-21-2014, 5:41 PM
So the magnets keep the jig in place . . . sometimes in the wrong place ;-) Glad you got her back and got back to work.

Chris Padilla
03-21-2014, 5:55 PM
A small snag in your day! :)

Bill Huber
03-21-2014, 6:05 PM
So the magnets keep the jig in place . . . sometimes in the wrong place ;-) Glad you got her back and got back to work.

There are 2 small rare earth magnets that hold the jig to the bit and they are a lot stronger than I thought.

It was just a pain to move the drill press and disconnect everything for a dumb little thing.

Bruce Page
03-21-2014, 8:12 PM
I hate it when stuff like that happens. I was doing some maintenance on my little cnc router the other day and dropped one of the little button head screw that you remove to oil the Hiwin bearings. I was scared that it might have fallen into something critical, it took me 2 hours to find the dang thing. I used a pen magnet along side the ball driver for the rest of the bearings... ;):rolleyes:

Curt Harms
03-22-2014, 8:26 AM
It sounds like Murphy is alive and well and decided to visit Ft. Worth that day. Glad it wasn't worse.

Bill Huber
03-22-2014, 9:04 AM
It sounds like Murphy is alive and well and decided to visit Ft. Worth that day. Glad it wasn't worse.

I think he lives right down the street, he come by my house a lot....

Keith Outten
03-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Bill,

ANYTHING less than 2.5" in diameter that gets near the end of that hose is gone with the wind :)
Oneida's Cobra Vac's are awesome.

I'm glad your enjoying yours.......most of the time.

Bill Huber
03-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Bill,

ANYTHING less than 2.5" in diameter that gets near the end of that hose is gone with the wind :)
Oneida's Cobra Vac's are awesome.

I'm glad your enjoying yours.......most of the time.

It is doing really great and I love it, it is so nice to have all that dust sucked up and no laying on the floor.
Everything is re-piped to 2 1/2" ID and that made a big difference of the 1 3/4" I had. The only complaint I have at all is after I dump the can I have to listen to the bong noise when I start it until I get a little saw dust in it.....:D

Jim Rimmer
03-24-2014, 2:00 PM
Sorry it happened but it is noce to know I'm not the only one that has those kind of days.