PDA

View Full Version : Single flute tapered reamer, shallow angle

Brian Holcombe
03-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Wondering if any of you guys know where to find such a rare animal as a shallow angle tapered reamer. I'm looking for something that I can use for tapered pins, rather than what would be used in chair making.

I don't want to use a six flute reamer for metal out of the expectation that it will make a hexagon rather than a smooth round taper.

Thanks fellas.

Jim Koepke
03-21-2014, 1:09 PM
Your best bet may be to make your own from a pice of wood and scraper.

jtk

Brian Holcombe
03-21-2014, 1:22 PM
Jim, I like the idea but I don't own a lathe. I'd rather buy one or have one made. However, I may use it to make a rounder after I find one.

Scott M Perry
03-21-2014, 1:33 PM
Get a hold of Elia Bizzarri (http://www.handtoolwoodworking.com). I have no doubt that he'd take your design and put something together for you. Great guy to deal with.

Brian Holcombe
03-21-2014, 1:44 PM
Thanks Scott, will do!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-21-2014, 2:15 PM
I don't know what size you're looking for, but what about the reamers available for luthiers and violin makers, for pegheads, or the endpins on guitars, or the fifth string on a banjo or what have you. I've seen them in 2, 3 and 5 degree tapers. Many of them, like the one from Stew Mac I've used, are "semi-fluted", that is, they have cutting flutes on only half the cone, the other side being a smooth cylinder, which helps keep the holes round as opposed to "hexing out" like a fully fluted reamer often does. A quick search at Stewart MacDonalds site will show up some stuff, as will searching a variety of the violin supply places.

Again, no idea if the sizes available are apt to work for what you want, and this isn't a tool I own or have used excessively - maybe John Coloccia or George or somebody can chime in on some of the options?

Brian Holcombe
03-21-2014, 2:34 PM
Thanks Joshua, this is perfect! I can use this to make a rounder as well and cut the pins without a lathe.

I bought the large size reamer, I plan to use this to pin the table top of my most recent project. Similar to this;

george wilson
03-21-2014, 2:56 PM
The violin type reamers that have flutes cut on only half of the diameter are made that way for a purpose: You can move the hole you are reaming by keeping the blank side against the area you do not want to advance towards. Only wiggle the reamer enough to make it cut,and the hole you are reaming will advance towards the side you are reaming. You can also straighten a crooked peg hole with them. It is a handy feature if you find that your peg hole needs a bit of moving or straightening up. I have had no trouble with these type reamers making a hex shape hole,either.

Brian Holcombe
03-21-2014, 3:04 PM
Thanks for your insight George, good to know that they are useful for straightening the peg hole as I drill without the use of a drill press….and sometimes things get get slightly out of square.

Mike Holbrook
03-21-2014, 5:39 PM
Tim Manney makes an excellent 6 degree reamer. Although it is designed for chair makers it might fit your needs if you can use chair size tapered tenons & mortises? I have one and it is an exceptional tool. It has a single cutting surface and is great at clearing it's own shavings while in use, which is frequently an issue with most reamers. It is excellent at customizing the angle of a hole while it is being reamed, which is a necessity when customizing mortises for individual chair tenons on rungs and seats. Each leg/rung used in an individual chair is a little different (since wood moves), so chairmakers have to be able to adapt each mortise to specific pieces as they are assembled. Peter Galbert lists them on his web site, but Peter sent me to Tim to make an order, so I think I would just contact Tim.

http://timmanneychairmaker.blogspot.com

Brian Holcombe
03-25-2014, 2:38 PM
Received the tapered ream from Stew-Mac, it works fantastic. The cut is gorgeous. Also the bit itself and handle are very nicely made.