PDA

View Full Version : White Paint Recommendations

Keith Strong
03-21-2014, 9:45 AM
Looking for recommendations for white paint for a hall bench/tree.

It is made out of poplar with some mdf panels. I do have some latex white paint from the trim in the house but not sure how it will hold up to people sitting on the bench, kids kicking sneakers under it and hanging book bags on it.

Thanks for your help.

Rich Engelhardt
03-21-2014, 10:04 AM
I had a railing in one of our rentals that was always in terrible shape. The paint was always chipping and flaking off.
I lightly sanded it down to where the finish appeared to be pretty soild and sticking tight, then gave it two coats of Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Acrylic.
It's held up fine and looks good two years later.

S&W also makes an Aykyd-Acrylic water cleanup version, that should hold up even better.

John McClanahan
03-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Don't apply a water based product to the bare MDF. The water will damage the MDF. Seal it first.

John

Keith Strong
03-21-2014, 11:26 AM
John,
So I should use an oil based primer instead of a latex primer? Or a coat of bullseye?

I have not heard that, thanks.

Rich Engelhardt
03-21-2014, 11:32 AM
John's right.
I always use a WB primer on MDF, but, that's just me.
I've never had any problems - but - then again, tens of thousands of people stop after work and pound down one too many and manage to make it home safe so - just because I never had a problem doesn't make it right.

John McClanahan
03-21-2014, 6:09 PM
I haven't tested it myself. I've read here in the past that the water in water based coatings can cause MDF to swell, like it does when it gets wet. Similar thing happens if latex is used on bare OSB. The edges of the chips curl up.

Oil based primer will work for sure. I'm not sure on the Bullseye. Water based paint can go on top of the primer. I would use acrylic, not wall or trim paint.

John

John TenEyck
03-21-2014, 9:41 PM
Prime it with shellac based BIN, then topcoat with acrylic latex, like SW's Pro Classic. Very nice stuff.

John

Matt Meiser
03-21-2014, 10:05 PM
I"ve used SW Wall and Wood Primer and Pro Classic on a couple projects recently and really liked the results. For spraying, both were thinned with tap water about 10%. They flowed out beautifully.

Ed Edwards
03-22-2014, 1:02 AM
+ 1 for John's advise

Ed

Mike Monroe
03-27-2014, 1:49 PM
+2 on John's advice. I'd use the spray cans of white BIN for the primer coat; makes it fast and easy.

And the SW store will custom match a color for you. So if you have some off-white commercial furniture already in the room, SW will match that color, so the piece you're painting matches and harmony is maintained.