PDA

View Full Version : anyone with cold smoking experience

Eduard Nemirovsky
03-20-2014, 7:21 PM
Recently I converted to fan of BigGreen Egg. I start grilling for at least 2-3 times per week when weather permit. I even cold smoke in it with good success. Start thinking for separate cold smoker, any devices in HD, Lowes and soo - electric or gas,not a very good quality or expensive.
I can dod a simple plywood box and smoke generator placed inside, but anyone with good experience in cold smoking would chime in to give advice or two? Like size or proportion of the box, detail in constructions?

Thank you,
Ed.

Brett Luna
03-20-2014, 7:54 PM
One of my interests is charcuterie, so I do a bit of sausage making, wet curing, dry curing, hot smoking...and cold smoking. I'm strictly a small batch maker and do almost all of it with my Bradley smoker, for which I also have the cold smoke adapter. If you want to build a smoker or smokehouse, I recommend the book, Meat Smoking And Smokehouse Design by Stanley Marianski.

A fellow I used to work with made a smoker that I'd like to duplicate. He picked up a hospital food cart at auction that was about 6 feet tall, made of double-walled stainless steel, had built-in tray slots, and moved on large rubber casters. He took it to a shop and had holes cut in the sides to accommodate a Bradley smoke generator and some air intake, and a flue up top. It sure turned out nicely.

Heh. My first post here and it's about smoking. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Eduard Nemirovsky
03-20-2014, 8:04 PM
Brett, welcome to the forum and thank you for book ' name - I will check.
Ed.

steven taggart
04-01-2014, 5:03 PM
Alton Brown from the food network show "Good Eats" made a cold smoker for salmon out of a cardboard box and a hot plate. Think the episode is called "where there's smoke, there's fish". I tried it and it actually worked pretty good.

Shawn Pixley
04-01-2014, 9:06 PM
I bought a dedicated smoker, so can't really help you with making one. But when you can control the temp and smoke, you can do some wonderful things. Alton Brown's homemade one looks like it could work well.