PDA

View Full Version : Ocala FL., what to see

Doug Jones
06-21-2005, 4:45 AM
Was wondering if there is anything of interest in the way of woodworking to see in Ocala/ Silver Springs Florida? I'll be down there for a short week next week, and would like to see a few things.
Thanks

Bill Arnold
06-21-2005, 6:37 AM
The Silver Springs Park has glass bottom boat tours that are interesting. My wife took granddaughter there a couple of weeks ago and they both enjoyed it.

http://www.silversprings.com/

Enjoy!!!

Ken Weaver
06-21-2005, 6:46 AM
Don't know about woodworking specifically, but ditto what Bill said about Silver Springs. They used to make the old Tarzan movies there, my MIL was in a couple of them.

Earl Kelly
06-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Godwin's Heart Pine Lumber is down there somewhere east of there. Might make an interesting side trip. If you want to go down a bit farther, you have Utter Guys in Sanford (Woodworking tools), and Amazon exotic hardwoods in Casselberry. They're just North of Orlando.

Not wood related, exactly, but, Don Garlits race car museum is in Ocala. Well worth the time and money to walk thru.

Hal Peeler
06-21-2005, 2:49 PM
My wifes family has an old (100yrs?) lake house just south of Ocala that needs the porch replacing. It's wood and needs work so does that qualify it for what your looking for? Just thought I'd ask. Ditto the silver springs. We have actually put our boat in at the other end of the Silver River and come up to the springs; awesome trip. We have seen monkeys in the trees , supposedly left over from the Tarzan era. Have fun
Hal

Jim Becker
06-21-2005, 10:49 PM
The 'rents live just south of there. Silver Springs is actually an enjoyable visit...the original Tarzan movies were shot there, too. Water is crystal clear (makes sense...it's the Crystal River...hee hee) and the wild life and zoo animals very nice. (including the giraffes.

There is a small arts cooperative right behind the BB Beans coffee place in Belleview...nice to visit after a latté.. ;) We've bought a few small things there when we visit.

You are only an hour plus north of the "amusement" capital if that floats your boat...