PDA

View Full Version : Electrical question : Locating a short in wiring.

Clarence Martin
03-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Got a short somewhere in the wiring of the back porch light. There are 2 lights . One is the outside light. That works fine. The other light is inside in the back porch. Light is located in the ceiling above the dryer. The switch to turn both lights on, is located in the Kitchen. Started having problems with it last Fall. The inside light would flicker and eventually turn off. All Winter, No light at all. Replaced the light bulb and nothing. The outside light always remained working .

Last night, I threw some clothes in the dryer and turned the light switch on to light up the outside back porch. Well, that inside light turned on !!!! This morning, I took the glass lamp shade off to see if the light bulb was loose, As soon as I took the lamp shade off, the light went out . Put it back on and still no light. The outside light is never affected by that.

How do I find out where the short is ?

Chuck Wintle
03-20-2014, 10:53 AM
sounds a lot like a defective socket, possibly a loose wire inside the socket or the metal part inside the socket does not keep the connection. If there was a short circuit then the fuse or circuit breaker would go, Did this happen?

Clarence Martin
03-20-2014, 11:21 AM
No, the Circuit Breaker is fine. It never went off.

Chris Padilla
03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Likely corrosion is the issue. Take the outside light apart and clean it up. Sometimes just taking it apart and putting it back together will fix the problem.

Chuck Wintle
03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
No, the Circuit Breaker is fine. It never went off.

i would investigate the light bulb socket a little more closely...some of them can develop an intermittent condition and need to be replaced. How old is the socket and what is the wattage of the bulb? PS Don;t forget to switch off the power.

Jason Beam
03-20-2014, 11:47 AM
You don't have a short - sounds like you have a loose wire or something on that inside light socket. Gonna have to break out the screwdriver and shut that breaker off.

Chris Padilla
03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
You don't have a short - sounds like you have a loose wire or something on that inside light socket. Gonna have to break out the screwdriver and shut that breaker off.

These days anyone with an issue regarding electricity often describes it as a "short." Likely, half the problems are shorts and the other half are opens. The third half is the computer doing what we told it to do and not what we wanted it do. ;) hahaha

Jason Beam
03-20-2014, 1:29 PM
The third half is the computer doing what we told it to do and not what we wanted it do. ;) hahaha

TOO TRUE! LOL

My wife always does that ... "This stupid POS isn't working right..." ... Well, what did you click? ... "This, then it didn't do anything so i clicked it 32425325 more times. Now i have 500234235 windows open." -- all i can do is shake my head.

Jim Koepke
03-20-2014, 1:35 PM
These days, anyone with an issue regarding electricity, often describes it as a "short."

To those who know the difference it is frightening to attempt advising them. Where do you start? With an elementary explanation of electrical theory? Ohms law?

At one workplace I had a meter with a 2 ohm scale specifically for finding shorted traces on production circuit boards. When I first read the title on this thread, that was what first came to mind, how to locate a short. Since most people do not have access to this kind of meter a process of elimination was being formulated as the title was clicked for selection. Then it all fell apart.

My advice to anyone who doesn't know the difference between the problems caused by a short and the problems caused by an open is to not get involved with electrical things.

Upon reading your description of what happened when you removed the shade it sounds like your problem is likely within the fixture or the connections to it.

It could be a simple as the tab that touches the bottom contact on the bulb not having a secure connection to a loose wire nut in the box above the fixture.

Be careful and turn off the power if you do the work yourself.

jtk

Art Mann
03-20-2014, 2:10 PM
To those who know the difference it is frightening to attempt advising them. Where do you start? With an elementary explanation of electrical theory? Ohms law?

At one workplace I had a meter with a 2 ohm scale specifically for finding shorted traces on production circuit boards. When I first read the title on this thread, that was what first came to mind, how to locate a short. Since most people do not have access to this kind of meter a process of elimination was being formulated as the title was clicked for selection. Then it all fell apart.

My advice to anyone who doesn't know the difference between the problems caused by a short and the problems caused by an open is to not get involved with electrical things.

Upon reading your description of what happened when you removed the shade it sounds like your problem is likely within the fixture or the connections to it.

It could be a simple as the tab that touches the bottom contact on the bulb not having a secure connection to a loose wire nut in the box above the fixture.

Be careful and turn off the power if you do the work yourself.

jtk

What you seem to be saying in a kindly way is "hire an electrician". I would have to agree.

Chuck Wintle
03-20-2014, 2:14 PM
What you seem to be saying in a kindly way is "hire an electrician". I would have to agree.
a good idea!

Steve Baumgartner
03-20-2014, 2:52 PM
+1. The danger with giving advice about wiring on a forum like this is that you have no way to be sure whether the OP actually understands what they are doing. No offense, but misuse of "short" suggests not. Trying to help can potentially get them into big trouble. When in doubt, hire an electrician!

Jim Koepke
03-20-2014, 3:13 PM
Trying to help can potentially get them into big trouble. When in doubt, hire an electrician!

Exactly, hire someone who knows what they are doing. Or at least have a neighbor who says they know what they are doing over for a beer. That way if they do electrocute them self, it isn't you laying on the floor.

Maybe ask the neighbor who plays loud music or races their car down the street. :eek:

jtk

Lee Schierer
03-20-2014, 7:56 PM
If the OP doesn't know the difference between a short and an open circuit you have to wonder if they would be wise enough to turn off the power before examining the socket with the problem.

Bruce Volden
03-20-2014, 9:53 PM
Clarence,

Turn off breaker to the light. Take light down and check for loose connections. I'm will to bet the 60 cycle rate has loosened a screw or a wire nut/connection especially if this is somewhat of an older fixture. I have had to fix this type of problem in the past on lighting fixtures and receptacles---electricity can untighten screws and connections!

I post this because you asked for input and most on this forum will bend over backwards to help.

However, if you don't feel comfortable around circuitry hire a pro. Me, I like to learn!

Bruce

Keith Westfall
03-20-2014, 11:31 PM
Just sitting here watching a Red Green special, (Google if you don't know) and his advice was:

"Don't get between electricity and where it wants to go!" :eek: