PDA

View Full Version : Air Compressor Recommendations Please

Jeff Wilkins
03-20-2014, 8:18 AM
I currently have a Paasche D220R connected to my GCC Spirit GX 60W. This is the second one where the bearing has failed and it is tinking around making a horrible noise. Any recommendations for quite compressors, this is in a classroom. We cut mostly Masonite, mdf, BB ply and 1/8 acrylic.

Thanks for helping

Jeff

David Somers
03-20-2014, 10:46 AM
Jeff,

Would 2 CFM be enough for you? 60dB for noise. Pretty quiet as these things go. This is a unit I use on a rotary engraver that is essentially a 400,000rpm dental drill. Keep in mind I am not yet a laser owner so I have not tried to use this on a laser.

Dave

Dave Sheldrake
03-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Airbrush compressors don't have 100% duty cycles.

Try Bambi, Clarke Sshhh or Titans, not cheap but quiet and last forever, always look for the FAD figure not the CFM, it's Free Air Delivery that matters.

cheers

Dave

Larry Bratton
03-20-2014, 11:50 AM
If you want a good one, suggest you try to find you a used Gast (brand). I found a heck of a deal on one on Ebay not long ago. I won't go into detail but I bought a $800.00 compressor for $100.00 (it needed some work on it that I got the Gast authorized repair depot to do) and now I have a great machine for a small amount of money. Just be careful because Gast has so many models it can get confusing. Those air brush compressors are OK, but they are hard to regulate and the ones I've had in the past worked but I never was sure how well. When the last one died, I decided to go with a real compressor. If you call Gast, tell them what your specs are, they will give you some help. There are numerous ones on Ebay now and I did a quick look. This one is similar to the one I have

David Somers
03-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Hey Dave!

That particular compressor is at least sold specifically for use with a rotary engraver, which when you are using it is nearly 100% use. Or at least for as long as you can stand the sound of a dental drill. <grin> I have used it for hours solidly with no issues. Mine is about 7 years old. That being said, it does not get used for 8 hours or more non stop.

Larry, I do have a Ghast vacuum pump that is a work horse. Quiet and rock solid. Again, about 7 years old with lots of hours on it. At least for their vacuum pumps I like their products.

Dave

Mark Sipes
03-20-2014, 1:34 PM
Jeff here is a system much like the one recommend by CGG not much more $$ than the air brush system you keep wearing out,

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/pneumatics/air-compressors-tools/compressors-tools/tankless-air-compressor-cattl5-12-hp-110v-60hz-tankless?infoParam.campaignId=T9F&gclid=CO_-0ZHQob0CFVJffgodfR4A0g

Joe Pelonio
03-20-2014, 8:09 PM
My first was also a Paasche and I wore out the bearing in 6 months, they are just not made to run 8-10 hours every day. Oddly enough, I have been using a cheaper compressor from Airbrush City now for about 7 years and it's been fine, but the last 5 years I don't run as much as I used to. Using a 'real" compressor is way too noisy unless you can keep it in a garage or shed and run a line to the shop.

Larry Bratton
03-20-2014, 8:45 PM
The Gast compressor I have is very quite. I have a couple of Porter Cable pancakes and they will jar your teeth, but not the Gast. Very happy with it. I have it regulated to 30psi for my Epilog but I ran it up to the max about 90 psi and ran my brad nailer with it on a cabinet I was making.

My first was also a Paasche and I wore out the bearing in 6 months, they are just not made to run 8-10 hours every day. Oddly enough, I have been using a cheaper compressor from Airbrush City now for about 7 years and it's been fine, but the last 5 years I don't run as much as I used to. Using a 'real" compressor is way too noisy unless you can keep it in a garage or shed and run a line to the shop.