PDA

View Full Version : The Unisaw Chronicles, Chapter 1

Sam Chambers
06-20-2005, 9:13 PM
The Homecoming

Saturday morning, I got up uncommonly early, removed the middle seats from the van and drove across town to Redmond & Sons. A short while later, the good folks at Redmond were deftly sliding my new Unisaw into the side door of the van.

I got home just in time for my first guitar student, knowing it would be a few hours before I could extract the saw from the vehicle. (Sheer torture, let me tell you!) Once I kicked the last student out the door, I got busy adjusting my Shop Fox mobile base to fit the new saw. No problemo - just slid the rails in a little bit farther and we were good to go.

I strapped the base onto the saw while it was still on its side. Then I drafted a lucky neighbor to help me ease the Unisaw out the side door of the van. It went very smoothly with just the two of us, except that the base fell off halfway down to the ground. It was just a minor setback, since most of the weight was still in the van. (It turned out to be just a little bit more of a problem than I thought...more in a minute.) We wheeled the saw over the threshhold easily. Then my neighbor suddenly remembered that he had to go do something. Smart guy, that neighbor.

I stood back and admired my new toy, then I remembered to grab my camera to placate the photo cops at Sawmilll Creek! (see Photo 1) And just in case someone didn't believe me, Photo 2 shows the price tag.

I quickly wrote down the model number, then headed upstairs to the computer to download the owner's manual and parts list. (See Photo 4) once the downloads were complete, I looked up the model number on Delta's web site. A wave of panic hit me as I realized that the "5" in the model number meant 5 horsepower! :eek: Oh no! I can't get 3 phase power here! What the heck am I going to do!!! As I sprinted back down the stairs, I thought, "I know I checked that motor last weekend when I found the saw." To my great relief, the motor was indeed a 3 HP, 1 phase. Whew!

Anyway, the top looked like Photo 5. An hour or so later, after a little work with some Scotchbrite pads, WD-40 and my random orbit sander, and it looks much better. (See Photo 6)

The missing parts are going to cost me about $160, direct from Delta, and the new switch ($60) arrived today from Grizzly. So, if nothing else goes wrong, I'll have a basically new Unisaw for a little over $700. :D

Next: Chapter 2: "We've Got Power, Captain!"

Sam Chambers
06-20-2005, 9:15 PM
Didn't realize that there was a limit of 5 pictures per post!

Dev Emch
06-20-2005, 9:24 PM
Sam....

You done Good! That is an excellent price for this saw. I also think your lucky as quite a few folks who are into restoring woodworking tools live in the Atlanta area and the switch issue would not have even bin a second thought. In fact, some of these guys have spare starters and switches lying about in their shops! As said, good job. Now lets get it running! Post any questions as they come up.

Effie Lever
06-20-2005, 9:36 PM
Congrats. Sam, great looking saw, enjoy and keep the pictures coming.

Effie

Alan Turner
06-21-2005, 5:21 AM
A Uni is an excellent saw. Nice score at an excellent price.

Bill Lewis
06-21-2005, 6:02 AM
The missing parts are going to cost me about $160, direct from Delta, and the new switch ($60) arrived today from Grizzly. So, if nothing else goes wrong, I'll have a basically new Unisaw for a little over $700. :D
Sam,
You've either got a fence hidden in your back pocket, or you're a very creative accountant. Correct me if I am wrong, but I see more than $220 worth of parts missing. What are you getting from Delta for $160? Handwheels, motor cover, and extension wing?

Sam Chambers
06-21-2005, 7:40 AM
Sam,
You've either got a fence hidden in your back pocket, or you're a very creative accountant. Correct me if I am wrong, but I see more than $220 worth of parts missing. What are you getting from Delta for $160? Handwheels, motor cover, and extension wing?
Bill, you're correct. There's no fence. I have a Jointech Saw Train that I'm migrating from my Delta Contractor's Saw, so the lack of a fence wasn't important.

I ordered 1 handwheel, 2 handwheel locking knobs, a dust port and a number of smaller parts from Delta. The motor cover came with the saw, but wasn't in the photos. I printed the exploded drawings and parts list and went over it carefully the other night to figure out what's missing, and it looks like $160 will get it done. The handwheel is on backorder, though.

Michael Gabbay
06-21-2005, 7:57 AM
Great find Sam! Did Redmond have a lot left? You might try Grizzley if you want a hand crank sooner.

Mike

Bill Lewis
06-21-2005, 8:21 AM
Bill, you're correct. There's no fence. I have a Jointech Saw Train that I'm migrating from my Delta Contractor's Saw, so the lack of a fence wasn't important.That's right, I thought you had said something about having a fence.
Maybe this should have been titled "Unisaw A-la-carte":)

Jeff Sudmeier
06-21-2005, 8:25 AM
Sam,

That is a wonderful find! You are going to have a wonderful saw for a wonderful price! Congrats!

Maurice Ungaro
06-21-2005, 8:35 AM
Sam,
When can I come over and admiire your new aquisition?

Michael Gibbons
06-21-2005, 9:43 AM
Sam, I'm curious. Whaere are the rest of the parts? I'm sure they didn't buy the saw like that.

Mike

Sam Chambers
06-21-2005, 12:30 PM
Great find Sam! Did Redmond have a lot left? You might try Grizzley if you want a hand crank sooner.Mike
Mike:

Redmond didn't have any more like that, but they had quite a few used Unisaws of varying age and condition. Pay them a visit - their inventory of used/reconditioned machines changes constantly. Or give Rich Jenkins a call and tell him what you're looking for.

Now, if I can just find someone to buy my Delta Contractor's Saw....

Sam Chambers
06-21-2005, 12:32 PM
Sam,
When can I come over and admiire your new aquisition?
Maurice, when I get it up and running, you can stop by and witness the "nickel test"!

Seriously, if you're ever going to be in the north part of Gwinnett County, drop me an e-mail.

Sam Chambers
06-21-2005, 12:39 PM
Sam, I'm curious. Whaere are the rest of the parts? I'm sure they didn't buy the saw like that.
Mike, they couldn't tell me all the details on that particular saw, but here's my guess:

The original 5hp motor was probably D.O.A., so they used it as a donor machine to replace missing or broken parts on other saws. Once they were done scavenging parts, they found a 3hp motor and dropped it in the shell. That would explain why it's a 5hp model number with a 3hp motor, and why it looked brand new. (I forgot to mention that the original protective plastic sheet on the big nameplate on the front of the saw is still there, and the table still had some shipping grease on it, so I am assuming it is basically a new machine.)

Anyway, that's my best guess. I certainly could be wrong.

mike malone
06-21-2005, 5:31 PM
Excellent score Sam...mucho kudos!!!
mike