PDA

View Full Version : Chiminea Question

Rich Riddle
03-19-2014, 9:54 AM
Folks what is the best kind of chiminea to purchase? The Internet shows different types. Initially the chiminea will burn some smallish (up to four inch) logs from cutting brush from the property. Just the stuff too large to shred. The hill is huge but most brush goes through the shredder. Thanks for your input.

Lee Schierer
03-19-2014, 2:01 PM
I've never owned on, but the biggest complaint I've heard is that they all fail if you build too hot of a fire in them or if it rains while they are still hot.

Erik Loza
03-19-2014, 2:01 PM
In for answers. I am re-doing our back yard right now and want to incorporate a fire feature that can burn twigs and small sections of tree branch. All the chimineas I see appear to be rather cheap, low-fired clay.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Jim Matthews
03-20-2014, 9:57 AM
Chiminea are no more effective at generating warmth in a seating area than an open fire pit with a reflective backstop.

They also present a risk to brush, if upended.
As mentioned above, unless you cap it after use,
it will collect rainwater.

My fire pit is a converted truck wheel (20" diameter) set into loose stone,
and surrounded by pavers. Burning brush and green wood will make more smoke than heat.

Low braziers, like an Hibachi are more versatile and easier to keep clean.

Art Mann
03-20-2014, 2:13 PM
The reason for using a chiminea instead of an open fire is that the smoke is directed up and away from the persons sitting around it.