PDA

View Full Version : Richard Raffan health concerns and not attending Utah Symposium

Ralph Lindberg
03-19-2014, 12:52 AM
Just received the following from the Utah Symposium
------
We have had some bad news from Richard Raffan concerning his health. I'm passing on his note to us.

"I’m afraid this is a “bad news” letter, in that I’m going to cancel my May trip to the US.
​​
Two days ago I had a stress test, and that led to an angiogram yesterday and a night in intensive care. The surgeon inserted a stent in my heart, and will insert another on April 2nd. Now I know why I’ve been feeling less than 100% in recent months and often unable to walk more than 80 meters without taking a minute to catch my breath, and of course that has had me wondering if I’m still able to meet the demands of hands-on workshops. I’ve been assured that a good recovery is expected, especially if I do the rehabilitation course for cardiac patients. However, there’s a good chance I won’t be up to working long and stressful days for at least two to three months. I hate to cancel like this, but belonging to a family with a history of heart attacks, it seems prudent to take life very easily for a few months.​​
My sincere apologies for the inconveniences this will undoubtedly cause. RR"

We will miss Richard in Utah in May. Please keep him in your prayers. We hope he has a full recovery and is back to good health soon.

John Keeton
03-19-2014, 5:14 AM
The important thing is that they found the problems BEFORE the heart attack!! His odds on a full recovery are excellent and the cardio rehab will improve his general health considerably. Richard is a nice fellow and I wish him the best.

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2014, 7:29 AM
Sorry to hear that he won't be making the symposium as I am sure there were many looking forward to meeting and spending some time with him. Very happy to hear that they found and treated him before having a heart attack! Would like to have him stick around for many many more years!! I wish him well with recovery!!

Roger Chandler
03-19-2014, 8:16 AM
Bad news for the Utah symposium, but good news for Richard...........they found a ticking time bomb, and should be able to diffuse it..........a few months and he will be going strong!

Bob Rotche
03-19-2014, 8:34 AM
Great news that they caught it early, before damage was done. He should do very well. Richard is a great guy. I had the opportunity to drive him from Roanoke, VA to Greensboro, NC for a symposium a couple years ago and had a wonderful time getting to know him.

charlie knighton
03-19-2014, 9:21 AM
wish him well

Bob Bergstrom
03-19-2014, 12:00 PM
The first symptom of cardio vascular disease is usually sudden death. He is truly fortunate to catch in at this stage. The post operative recovery can be quite amazing. He'll be back and feeling a lot better.

Tim Rinehart
03-19-2014, 4:59 PM
So sorry to hear Richard has some health issues, but so glad to hear he could tell something wasn't right and needed looked into and best yet, has a good prognosis to be back in play again.
Somewhat different from some of the notifications when someone gets hurt, this is an excellent message to us all, young and old, to pay attention and not discount cues our body may be telling us.
Thanks for the heads up. Look forward to hearing Richard can get back to much of his work that I know he will be disappointed to be missing.

Bill White
03-19-2014, 7:44 PM
Best wishes sent out. Get well soon.
Bill

Harry Robinette
03-19-2014, 8:54 PM
I wish him well a glad he caught it early. I had 3 stents put in in the fall of 2004 I was 52. after a stress test. Everyone men and women should have a stress test at age 50 to 55 or if your felling worn out and or hard to breath.

robert baccus
03-19-2014, 11:18 PM
Good luck on your problem. At our age we need to slow down. Buy more expensive wood and hire your shop cleaned up. And no more dishwashing.

Bill Bukovec
03-20-2014, 12:27 PM
I'm guessing he will be back turning on his regular schedule in no time.

I used to work for a company that made stents.

We were able to watch live procedures from the catheter lab. Those cardiologists make angioplasty look as easy as roughing out a bowl.