PDA

View Full Version : I made a lampshade. No, really

Kyle Iwamoto
03-18-2014, 9:33 PM
I made a lampshade on purpose. Hope the attachment made it.
Lampshade and lamp is Norfolk Pine.

Len Mullin
03-18-2014, 9:41 PM
Nice Kyle, you did a fine job.

Len

robert baccus
03-18-2014, 10:33 PM
Very nice--oil soaked I assume.

Doug Herzberg
03-19-2014, 8:02 AM
Lovely. Thanks for posting. Did you also make the lamp?

Jeff Gilfor
03-19-2014, 8:24 AM
That is awesome. Been wanting to make one of those for long time myself, but haven't gotten around to procuring a large NIP blank. Beautiful!

two questions if you don't mind though:

While turning, did you spritz water on it, or do anything special to keep it moist unti you were done?

What sort of finish did you use?

Bob Rotche
03-19-2014, 8:31 AM
Very nice. I've thought about doing this for some time too. Are you using LED light to keep the heat down?

Kyle Iwamoto
03-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the nice comments.

I did make the lamp too. I'm using a regular compact fluorescent. Penetrol/poly mix for the lampshade.
I hollowed both with a Monster rig, I did not spray water or anything else. Took a long time since Norfolk is so difficult, especially end grain which both of those are. Maybe I should have sprayed water I should try that some day.

Bob Bergstrom
03-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Great job on both pieces. Beautiful warm glow to the shade. It would be a challage to turn the base thin enough to insert some LEDs the base it glows also. Chicago Woodturners just hosted Andre Martel using his hook tools to turn thin lamp shades. He could both remove huge shaving and delicate whisps with that tool. Also great information on grain orientation and forms for shades. He suggested making sure the top of the shade is the lower section and the larger opening is the higher section of the trunk. It helps even up the grain around the larger openiging. Usually the knots will give a glue to which way the tree was growing.

Pete Jordan
03-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Great job Kyle!

What finish did you use?

Thomas Canfield
03-19-2014, 10:08 PM
Great job, and you are where the NFIP is easy to come by. We will be looking for the next one.