PDA

View Full Version : Benchtop Drill Press under $500?

Angus McLeod
03-18-2014, 6:49 PM
I'm looking for a new benchtop drill press and can stretch to $500 for the tool. I want to get the best bang for my buck, and want a unit that I won't regret buying later on. The purchase will be made sight-unseen, online, so I want a reputable brand.

I am NOT interested in second hand gear.

I'm looking at the Jet JDP-15M ¾ HP unit for about $500, but have no experience with this (or any other) unit. So, can anyone advise for or against the Jet? Are there better units out there below my price limit?

I'm hoping for good advice from experienced members.

Thanks...

scott spencer
03-18-2014, 7:05 PM
Jet is definitely a reputable brand, but dealer support is factored into the price, which is a perk that you won't benefit from if you order online. Powermatic, Grizzly, Baleigh, General International, Rikon, or Shop Fox are other names to consider. Believe it or not, my HF Central Machinery 38142 DP has been a great tool....the brand doesn't have the best reputation, but I've been impressed with my 38142.

Loren Woirhaye
03-18-2014, 8:56 PM
You may want to avoid a model with a reeves drive for continuous variable speed operation. I have one with a reeves driv and haven't had any trouble with it. Mine is a Jet knockoff, probably from the same factory but with looser quality standards. Still, it's fine for woodworking.

Enco is a respected source among metal workers. They carry some different brands and have a house brand.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM
(http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM)

Michael Stanuch
03-18-2014, 9:19 PM
I know you said benchtop, but maybe give the Porter Cable 15" Floor drill press (model PCB660DP) a look. It's available at Lowes, so if you have one near you, they should have a floor model out to look at. I got mine last fall with a $25 off coupon, came to just under $300. It's a 15" model with 4" of quill travel. Only 12 speeds compared to the Jets 16. I've been happy with mine though, and think it's good value for the money.

william watts
03-18-2014, 9:30 PM
I purchased that model drill press 2 years ago on line. I assembled it only to find the runout at the chuck as extreme I called Jet and they referred me to a local dealer/warranty station even though I bought on line, but I am in the states not Barbados. The warranty station replaced the chuck. Still has a little run out, but for my hobby work its acceptable. Should there be a problem jet customer service will send warranty parts to you, if you can diagnose the problem. Now I am satisfied with the drill press, has plenty of power and will turn a circle cutter with no problem. Has a 5 year warranty.

Just read on another form that Jet/Powermatic has been sold to another company, they will have new policies no doubt.

Jim Finn
03-19-2014, 7:17 AM
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Speed-Heavy-Duty-Bench-Top-Drill-Press/G7943 This is what I have and I like it.

pat warner
03-19-2014, 8:09 AM
Drilling wood? Location of holes + or - 1/32" ok? Changing speeds will pinch fingers, ok?
Runout >.005" ok? Then nearly any press near $500 will do, new or used.
Drilling metal, plastic or wood accurately & precisely? Then you need to spend money.
Not what you wanted, but max quality/dollar will come from old tools, rebuilt, like:
Buffalo, Atlas, DoAll, Davis & Wells, Powermatics, Rockwells, General, Clausing, Delta, Pre'65 Sears, walker-turner, Wilton e.g.

Jak Kelly
03-19-2014, 9:31 AM
Grizzly is good, I have the bench-top model that is listed above by Jim. You stated that you do not like second hand tools, which I understand to some degree, but I would highly recommend doing a craigslist check, type in Walker Turner and see what you come up with. Walker Turner made a lot of machines back in the 40's, heavy castings, big bearings, just freaking tanks! I was afforded the opportunity to have one of these machines, is was given to me, in sad condition, or so I thought. After one night of dis-assembly, cleaning it up, striping paint, re-packing bearings, polishing.......... Luckily the only thing I had to buy was a power cord. I wound up giving that machine to my dad, it is in the barn now, still technically mine. But if I had to make a choice to sale the Grizzly or the Walker Turner I think I would get rid of the Grizzly!
I have seen a few Walker Turner machines since then, on craigslist, for the $200-300 range, they hold their value well and are sought after machines.

Mark Carlson
03-19-2014, 1:47 PM
I have a Delta 350 benchtop. Its not great, but was a good starter drill press. Expect things to break, and have delta say sorry that part is no longer available. If you lived in Los Angeles I'd say come and get it for free.

Wade Lippman
03-19-2014, 3:12 PM
I know you said benchtop, but maybe give the Porter Cable 15" Floor drill press (model PCB660DP) a look. It's available at Lowes, so if you have one near you, they should have a floor model out to look at. I got mine last fall with a $25 off coupon, came to just under $300. It's a 15" model with 4" of quill travel. Only 12 speeds compared to the Jets 16. I've been happy with mine though, and think it's good value for the money.

I was going to recommend that also. Got it a year ago and like more than my old $800 Laguna. (only I bought it used (but apparently never turned on) for $80).
12 speeds is more than enough, and it is easy to change speeds.

Angus McLeod
03-19-2014, 8:27 PM
Thanks for advice, everyone!

I don't want a 2nd hand machine, because I don't want to ship it 1600+ miles on a steamship to discover it's a rusty piece of worn out junk, which would force me to buy a plane ticket and a cricket bat (additional expense) and pay a visit to the rip-off artist who sold it to me.

I'd like a floor-standing unit, but I don't have the room for one, and I can't drill holes in the tiled floor to bolt it down, so benchtop will have to do, alas. Also, larger size would result in increased ocean freight, so...

Don't think the Jet uses a Reeves drive. It has 16 preset speeds, selected by moving belts on pulleys. I'm pretty satisfied with my Jet mini-lathe (1014VSI) which is one of the reasons I was looking at this unit. I just wanted to check that it wasn't known to have a motor made of gunpowder, a table made of balsa wood, or a column made of chewing gum. Or any other definite reason to avoid it. Or indeed that a different machine in the same price class was known to be a much better buy, for whatever reasons.

One thing I am not sure I understand -- It says the spindle is MT2 / JT33. Obviously, it can't have both tapers at once. So am I correct in assuming that the spindle has a female MT2 taper, into which an arbor is fitted to give a JT33 male taper, onto which the chuck is fitted?

Thanks again to all willing to share their wisdom!

Mike Heidrick
03-19-2014, 9:37 PM
Thanks for advice, everyone!

I don't want a 2nd hand machine, because I don't want to ship it 1600+ miles on a steamship to discover it's a rusty piece of worn out junk, which would force me to buy a plane ticket and a cricket bat (additional expense) and pay a visit to the rip-off artist who sold it to me.

I'd like a floor-standing unit, but I don't have the room for one, and I can't drill holes in the tiled floor to bolt it down, so benchtop will have to do, alas. Also, larger size would result in increased ocean freight, so...

Don't think the Jet uses a Reeves drive. It has 16 preset speeds, selected by moving belts on pulleys. I'm pretty satisfied with my Jet mini-lathe (1014VSI) which is one of the reasons I was looking at this unit. I just wanted to check that it wasn't known to have a motor made of gunpowder, a table made of balsa wood, or a column made of chewing gum. Or any other definite reason to avoid it. Or indeed that a different machine in the same price class was known to be a much better buy, for whatever reasons.

One thing I am not sure I understand -- It says the spindle is MT2 / JT33. Obviously, it can't have both tapers at once. So am I correct in assuming that the spindle has a female MT2 taper, into which an arbor is fitted to give a JT33 male taper, onto which the chuck is fitted?

Thanks again to all willing to share their wisdom!

Have you considered a G0704 or other smaller MillDrill? I know more than $500 but very nice and compact and many use R8 tool holders.
Yes you are correct on the MT2/JT33.

Myk Rian
03-19-2014, 10:25 PM
so I want a reputable brand.
Good luck with that. Nowadays there ain't no such thing as a reputable brand for $500.
What's wrong with high quality vintage?

Angus McLeod
03-20-2014, 12:06 AM
What's wrong with high quality vintage?
How do you suggest I tell the difference between high quality vintage and rusty, worn out junk?

Rick Potter
03-20-2014, 3:37 AM
Angus,

Does Sears, or any home center have a presence in Barbados? Perhaps a school or auction, or is there simply no place at all that sells tools locally?

Rick Potter

Jak Kelly
03-20-2014, 9:14 AM
How do you suggest I tell the difference between high quality vintage and rusty, worn out junk?

By pictures! Some light surface rust is one thing, heavy scaling another. The walker Turner that I mentioned has a very large support group, can still buy all the bearings new from a bearing shop, can also be easily fitted with a new aftermarket motor. The condition of the pulleys might be worth an assessment as well. But for 2-300 dollars, possibly even cheaper, you can't go wrong. These machines were designed as Industrial production units during WWII.
But to each their own!!!!

Angus McLeod
03-20-2014, 12:07 PM
There are no bearing shops here. Aftermarket motors are not available. I can get bearings, motors, etc, if I'm prepared to order them from overseas and wait three months. And if they aren't right, it costs more to send them back than to throw them out and start again. To my knowledge, there is one drill press for sale in this entire country, a floor standing unit, and it is of an undetermined make because there are no markings on it, whatsoever. The people selling it do not provide parts or service, and never will.

When I look at the lovely pictures and send my money, what is to prevent Shifty McBeadyeyes from sending me a box of rocks? Or nothing at all? You realize that I'll have no legal remedies whatsoever? And, given the shipping address, Shifty will know it?

Sorry. If I lived in the USA then I would consider a second hand machine. But given my circumstances, I want brand new in box. I want to purchase from a well known company with a multi-million dollar reputation to protect. Not from some faceless villain I found on Craigslist.

All of this is why I stated in my very first post that I am not interested in a second hand machine.

Brian W Smith
03-20-2014, 4:19 PM
Probably shouldn't respond but........watching glue dry in the shop is rather boring.

Your price point puts you a touch behind the 8ball.New,just pay the money and snag a Grizz or Jet or?....the main issue sounds like shipping?You're going to get an entry level machine,taking what you get.

Buying a "classic" used machine(which is what I'd do)and you'll need to develop a relationship with the seller.Looking at "restored" machines is somewhat a crapshoot....but gotta say,most folks that are rehabbing these DP's are doing a wonderful job.....just start a dialog with them and you should get a feeling about the whole deal.

Someone mentioned a "mill/drill".......if,in fact you're wanting to skip a bit of trial/error...a new mill/drill may be,the way to go.It comes with cautions,mainly they aren't "really" milling machines......but they do a nice job of bridging a gap if the situation warrants more precision than entry level DP's.And at least here,they carry a decent resale value....something that by what you're saying may be a good thing?

BUT....theres also gear head DP's......a little(actually a lot)out of your price range,but hey,if you're having as much trouble as it sounds.....may want to drop some serious $$ and get a really nice machine?

Kent A Bathurst
03-20-2014, 4:20 PM
.....I'm looking at the Jet JDP-15M ¾ HP unit......

Late to the game - sorry.

I have been "helping" my best friend from dog-years ago equip his shop. Slowly but surely, whenever there was a plausible excuse for each small step. I am also his wife's adviser on Christmas presents.

One of those presents - 2-1/2 years ago - was that very same Jet DP.

It is a horse. I have been very impressed with it. Basically a floor-stand DP with a shorter post.

I started life years ago with a garden-variety Delta floor DP. Migrated 4 years ago to a PM 1150A - VS. The Jet ain't the PM1150, but it definitely ain't the Delta - I like it much better than the Delta.

You won't be disappointed, IMO, given your specs. Right in your wheelhouse for benchtops.

Kent A Bathurst
03-20-2014, 4:42 PM
Forget everything I just posted.

Immediately after that post, I got an email notification from the IRS Auction site. I occasionally scarf up items there for the company I work for, or for myself.

Dig this: Clausing VS Benchtop drill press. Two of them.

I can't assure you they will stay under your $500 ceiling. If it was me, a few years ago when I bought my 25-year-old PM 1150A-VS, I woulda been all over one of these two. Next step up on the big muscle scale from the PM class star-cruiser:

http://www.irsauctions.com/index_search_results.asp?pg=auction&id=17360*17367*17373*17379*17382*17385*17386&pid=17360&cat=138

Doug Ladendorf
03-20-2014, 6:02 PM
I'm a vintage machine guy myself but understand your issue. Have you looked at the Baleigh machines? (Scott mentioned above.) they are a reputable metalworking machine company getting into woodworking machines and may present a better value. They are also a site sponsor and may give you a break on shipping.

(Then again those Clausings do look good!)

Doug