PDA

View Full Version : Making a Guitar Rack

Julie Moriarty
03-18-2014, 2:21 PM
It's become apparent I'll be needing a guitar rack, or I'll have to buy a bunch of cases an I don't ever plan on taking on the road to tour. I've seen several racks online and this gave me some idea where to start. I drew up some basic plans for a rack that would hold acoustic, electric and bass guitars. I placed a section above that would have drawers for extra strings, pics and other things one might store with their guitars. I was thinking maybe a couple small drawers and two sections with doors for pedals. I only expect to ever have one foot pedal but Brian has a couple, though I don't know he'll ever store them there.

Would a rack that can hold what I mentioned above be sufficient? Is there anything else I should plan to store in, with or on the rack?

Shawn Pixley
03-18-2014, 3:24 PM
Julie,

just to tempt you down the bad alleyway; you could build something like this.

I was sick of leaving the guitars in cases. I also was tired of just having the out on guitar stands. It will store 6-7 guitars behind glass and one in each of the bottom drawers. The glass is UV filtered. It also keeps it out of the salt air at the house.

For performing, I use guitar stands and have a ready bag of goodies (Spare Strings, Misc Guitar tools, spare cable, outlet tester, etc...) for when things go wrong.

Sam Murdoch
03-18-2014, 4:09 PM
Geez Shawn - give the poor woman a break :).

Really, really fine woodworking Shawn, and you make music too :cool:.

OK Julie - you're up.:D

Shawn Pixley
03-18-2014, 6:22 PM
Given Julie's obvious skills, she is up for it...

Julie Moriarty
03-18-2014, 10:26 PM

I don't think I have that much time left. ;)

BTW, I got #1 up and running about an hour ago. I feel like I'm back in the band again. :rolleyes: I don't know if it's the guitar or the amp, but it sure sounds great. :)

Shawn Pixley
03-19-2014, 12:16 AM
I don't think I have that much time left. ;)

BTW, I got #1 up and running about an hour ago. I feel like I'm back in the band again. :rolleyes: I don't know if it's the guitar or the amp, but it sure sounds great. :)

We need sound clips!!!!!

Julie Moriarty
03-19-2014, 1:45 PM
We need sound clips!!!!!
I replied in the Strat Build thread. :) But I think you'd have a gas with the Fuse software! (Do they say "gas" anymore? :confused: )

Julie Moriarty
03-19-2014, 8:20 PM
Here's what I came up with. I didn't want to show up Shawn. :rolleyes: I figured the drop down doors for small foot pedals and the drawers for parts and strings. What will I regret not including in this build?

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Guitar%20Stuff/GuitarRack_02_zps9ee1436c.jpg

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Guitar%20Stuff/GuitarRack_01_zpsdeff7b00.jpg

Shawn Pixley
03-20-2014, 2:01 PM
Julie,

A couple thoughts. You may want to make the center drawer into a single drawer (double wide) so it can store cables as well. You could have trays on top for picks, strings, capos, etc... i.e. the thin stuff. The spacing between the guitar neck slots is also important. Archtops, semi-hollow and acoustics take more width. Leave enough room between them that the can be easily pulled out and returned without scraping the others.

The spacing, shape, and slope of the bottom rails are important. The curve on the bouts of Telecasters and Les Pauls are different. You'll need to find the right compromise for versatility. I padded mine with undyed leather. Rubber, silicone, etc can marr some finishes.

What is your plan for guitar straps? I use strap locks for all but one of my electrics. So, I pull the straps off before storing. If you leave straps on, you'll want to account for how they lay. What tuner do you use. I have a Peterson strobe for the house (general tuning and set-ups). The current crop of battery tuners are pretty good, so you may want and easy access home for it.

Julie Moriarty
03-20-2014, 4:32 PM
Thanks Shawn. As I read your reply I was smacking my forehead. I knew I was missing things but was drawing a blank. I like your ideas.

I was looking at your beautiful cabinet again last night. It's awe inspiring! I was trying to figure out the section that cradles the bottom of the guitars.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=285064&d=1376956355

How did you come up with the design? What did you use for the raised edges? Is that just wood covered with leather or is there cushioning under it?

Have you had formal training or are you self taught? Your cabinet reminds me of some of the featured work I've seen on FWW and most all woodworkers are graduated of one school or another. I'd love to do something like this but I'd probably end up getting paralyzed toward the finish for fear of making a mistake and having to start over again. Besides, I only have a little over 3 feet of wall space in our music room to work with...

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Guitar%20Stuff/TheKids_01_zps7d687424.jpg

the space between the two tables. And then where do I put the amps? We need a bigger room.

Sam Murdoch
03-20-2014, 5:26 PM

You are right Julie about Shawn's skill but he's right about yours too!

As for building ideas - with a grain of salt as I own a harmonica and a violin, both much neglected these days and none with their own cabinet.

I wonder about using your basic plan but storing the guitars flat to the front as you show them in front of the amps in your photo. Add the drawer(s) at the bottom rather than at the top. Then hang the rack on the wall rather than on the floor to free up space. I know this means that you might be limited to only 3 or 4 instruments.

Stupid Question Alert - Can they be hung oriented alternatively up and down to allow for closer spacing?

Shawn Pixley
03-20-2014, 6:37 PM
Julie, good questions.

The cradle area was one I most agonized over. Originally, I was going to float rails above the bottom of the case. I ended up just resting it on the bottom. The rails are soft maple covered with batting and then undyed leather. The maple has a bevel on each the was the best compromise to the various shapes of the bouts. The front piece of curly maple hides the tacked edge. The case holds picks, capos, and polishing / wiping cloths.

To work it out, I mocked up scrap to figure the tilt angle (how far back the guitar leans and then how much space do the various headstocks require. I used curly maple scrap with a curve mimicing the other curves and brass rod covered with tubing. When I figured out the top (neck support), I mocked up the rails (height, width, angle and round-off. Given the shape of various bouts, the rails need to be higher than you would think. I still debate rebuilding that particular portion.

If I were doing it for your rig. I might make the case to hang off the wall above your amp menagerie. You then could take the doors / doors and put them below the guitars / rails. You don't have a lot of horizontal space so maybe go vertically?

Shawn Pixley
03-20-2014, 6:57 PM
[QUOTE=Julie Moriarty;2242433]
Have you had formal training or are you self taught? Your cabinet reminds me of some of the featured work I've seen on FWW and most all woodworkers are graduated of one school or another. I'd love to do something like this but I'd probably end up getting paralyzed toward the finish for fear of making a mistake and having to start over again. Besides, I only have a little over 3 feet of wall space in our music room to work with... [
/QUOTE]

Music training - I took 14 years of classical violin. I took up guitar when I was 14 and am self taught. Bands and recording followed.

Julie, you are too kind. I'd really like to think of my work as a comparison to the projects in FWW. Thank you for the nice compliment.

Woodworking - my formal training is in chemistry and architecture (but I really wanted to be an artist, but I have a weakness of liking to eat regularly). I worked some construction in my teens but got several jobs repairing, restoring, and refinishing old victorian houses and furniture. That taught me a lot. I worked along side of some old school craftsmen. I could pick up a lot by watching and doing. I built an architect's office worth of furniture in my 20's with almost no tools. My woodworking (like my casting / metalworking / other interests) is largely self taught. I read books, practice, experiment, etc... My inspiration is from my grandfather. He could fix almost anything. He taught me to figure out how it works and to never be afraid to try for fear of failure. I try to add the art as well. I see similar qualities in you. Your fearlessness on your guitars is quite inspirational.

Julie Moriarty
03-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks for sharing that Shawn. Hope I wasn't being too nosy. It's interesting to learn how people got to where they are, especially when those qualities lead to something good.

I've been reassessing the rack project. Yesterday I was looking at the stock I had on hand and trying to imagine making something really beautiful out of it. The drawing that I did reminds me too much of something I slapped together as a basement toy box for the kids many years ago. I had to look at that ugly thing for a long time, a constant reminder that I was too impatient to make something appealing to the eye.

Wall mounting is out. I'm hoping to sell the house in the next year so I don't want to do any damage to the walls. Most have been freshly painted in the last couple of years to show the house better. At first I was thinking of putting drawers on the bottom. I moved them to the top because I didn't want an open top rack. But there are pictures on that wall we don't want to lose or move.

I'll have to give this some more consideration. And my SO is getting anxious to see that bass get started. We'll have to talk about which project is next up.

Shawn Pixley
03-21-2014, 11:23 AM
Julie,

No worries. You need to make you happy, not me. It sounds to me like the Bass would come first and you may want to wait until you move for the guitar stand. Is ounds like everything would be a compromise right now.

Steve Milito
03-28-2014, 9:42 AM
Shawn,
Do you have humidity control in the cabinet?

george wilson
03-28-2014, 12:13 PM
I have a cabinet I made that will store 32 guitars. I broke 2 fingers in a fall a few days ago and do not feel like taking pictures yet,but will eventually. It has a top and bottom section. It stores guitars 4 across and 4 deep in each section.

I built it so that I could assemble the sections in place. Otherwise,it'd be too large to get into the house!!:) I put UV protection film on the glassed ends of the case. It was set between 2 windows in the last house,where I designed it to fit.

John Powers
03-28-2014, 5:59 PM
It doesn't live in a beautiful cabinet but this inspires me to tune up the old D-28 for a spin on the WALL OF DEATH.

Shawn Pixley
06-03-2014, 4:45 PM
Right now I don't have humidity control. Typically 360+ days per year, our humidity is between 30 -70 rh at 65-75 degrees F.

The Santa Ana winds are the challenge when the outside humidity is down below 10%, I put in a couple of soundhole humidifiers. I have looked into a humidification system that my brother uses. He tunes pianos, restores and sells high end pianos (Bosendorfers, Steinway, etc...). Recently he hase taken up building and repairing banjos. We trade work periodically. He lives in Mesa Arizona, so he has much more challenge with humidification than I.

Russ Abbott
11-23-2014, 8:23 AM
Julie, thanks for starting this thread.
As musicians we lust after equipment to play and then hide them in closets, cases and so on.
Shawn's pictures of his "storage cabinet" have given a whole new perspective on how to store Axes. Besides guitars, I need an area for Saxes and Harmonicas as well.
Good luck on your upcoming project, I'm subscribing.
Thanks again.