PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Disston saw handle

Roger Rettenmeier
03-18-2014, 12:42 PM
285059285058 I have this Disston saw (1896- 1917) by the medallion. The plate is sharpened a ways in to the etch, but it looks like a faint D 8 etch. The five hole handle will not fit any other D 8 saw that I currently own. I have tried fitting this era of saw, and earlier an later D-8s to the handle. My other D 8s are fairly interchangeable. I figure it is a D 8 based on what I can make out on the etch. Handle is in great shape, but I can get two of five holes to match up on other D 8s. I could not find another close match on the Disston web site. Anyone tell me what I have for sure? I do have a D 8 candidate that needs a handle. I would have to drill or enlarge several holes to make it fit.

Andrew Fleck
03-18-2014, 3:37 PM
I'm not sure, but I suspect that saw used to be much larger.

Roger Rettenmeier
03-18-2014, 4:28 PM
285068 Here is a photo from the same ere D 8 that depicts what I was trying to explain. I think Andrew is correct, the saw used to be larger.

Paul Incognito
03-18-2014, 7:30 PM
Sure looks like an 8 to me. If you're trying to use that handle for a fresher plate, it'll be a real stroke of luck to have all the holes line up. I've read that each saw has the holes drilled by eye, no 2 are likely to be an exact match. I think I read that on the disstonian institute web site.
Maybe this helps? Maybe not?
Paul

Roger Rettenmeier
03-18-2014, 8:10 PM
Thanx, I missed that. I was thinking a template for saw holes and handles was more likely. My current pantheon of saws would require some slight round filing, vs drilling. I do have a good saw plate without a handle, and a a good handle without a saw plate. They may go together like peanut butter and chocolate, or better yet, almonds and craisins.

lowell holmes
03-18-2014, 10:37 PM
You may be able to find a pattern for your saw here.

http://www.tgiag.com/saw-handle-scans.html

If you trace the saw plate with the hole locations, you can draw it on one of their patterns if necessary.