PDA

View Full Version : Pacel Post shipping from Alaska to the Lower 48

Clarence Martin
03-18-2014, 10:59 AM
When a package is shipped from Alaska to someplace in the Lower 48 using Parcel Post, how is that package usually transported ? By truck or Airplane ? Had a package shipped out yesterday from AK and the USPS shipping site, said it should arrive by April 5th, 2014. Since it came from Interior Alaska, they are off the Road System. I know it has to be transported by air mail from there to Anchorage. The big question is does Parcel Post transport by truck from Anchorage or air mail ?

David Weaver
03-18-2014, 1:42 PM
I'd call one of the post offices there and ask the question. I'm sure they know and if they don't like the question, the worst they can do is hang up.

Michael Mahan
03-18-2014, 2:27 PM
either or would be the answer parcel post goes the slowest (truck or sealand ) BUT if there is space available on a jet it might make on a plane , from the bush it's on a plane till it hits the Anchorage PD&C .
thou I think Parcel Post is now called Parcel Select . The cost difference between Parcel Select & Priority Mail is really not that large as it once was add then in that Priority Mail is now insured it's best to ship Priority Mail as it's also handled less that way .

Jim Matthews
03-18-2014, 6:27 PM
I would wager a SWAG that FedEx out of Anchorage carries a great deal of the outbound parcels,
flat rate, express or otherwise. It wouldn't make sense to maintain more routes, when
the waiting plane has capacity. Anchorage to Memphis, and then into the USPS mechanisms...

FedEx is VERY busy out of Anchorage, as they're the transhipping hub for a great deal of electronics out of Shenzhen into the US.

Rich Riddle
03-18-2014, 8:23 PM
I thought the postal clerk indicated the US Postal Service discontinued Parcel Post.

Kev Williams
03-18-2014, 9:20 PM
I'm in the Salt Lake area. On saturday March 8th I took a priority mail package to the post office at closing time, 3pm. It arrived in Winchester Massachusetts before 9am Monday the 10th...

The moring of February 24th I sent a priority package to Girdwood Alaska. It got there March 3rd.

Now, I know Alaska's a bit farther from me than Massachusetts, but it's not SIX DAYS farther even if you're walking! For priority mail, that's ridiculous. I wouldn't doubt parcel post (or select?) is probably faster. But I wouldn't bet on it!