PDA

View Full Version : Sears Roebuck Radial Arm Saw Recall

David Turner
03-18-2014, 9:17 AM
Anyone know what parts they require to be returned for the $100?

Emerson Electric is sending me a box to return the parts and so I have all kinds of repair parts now available from the saw that I would give away free to anyone needing them. Just not sure which ones I can give away.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Mark Andrew
03-18-2014, 9:29 AM
Motor and track arm , I believe.

John McClanahan
03-18-2014, 10:05 AM
Just the complete motor and carriage. You get to keep the arm and table.

John

Jim Andrew
03-18-2014, 10:11 AM
I did the return a few months ago, pretty good deal. I paid 139 for the saw back in the 70's, and sent part of it back for 100 in the teens. So it cost me 39$ for the use of it (occasionally) for about 35 years. Did have to replace the rods and the bearings on the arm and carriage. But the old thing still ran.

Drew Pavlak
03-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Is this for the blade guard and table? Or something different? I have already done the blade guard and table recall, and they did not ask for anything back. Could you post the link to the recall? If it is different than just the guard recall.

Thanks,

Never mind, found another link that explained it a little better. $100 is for saws that cannot be retrofitted.

Charles Lent
03-18-2014, 10:34 AM
You had a choice for the recall. You could either send the motor and carriage to them and they would send you $100 OR you could get the safety upgrade package which included the new blade guard and a new table. I went with the upgrade, as did my son.

Charley

Duane Meadows
03-18-2014, 10:50 AM
Not sure it was an either/or thing. Some of the older models Emerson just didn't have an upgrade for, those they would give the $100 in exchange for the motor/carriage.

David Turner
03-18-2014, 11:48 AM
My understanding is there were two problems with two different model saws. The one I have, Model 113-51300, I believe is under recall because the bearings were failing and allowing the saw motor carriage to drop down on the table. I believe it has caused numerous serious accidents. I don't know that for sure so don't quote me.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Doug Ladendorf
03-18-2014, 12:07 PM
Not sure it was an either/or thing. Some of the older models Emerson just didn't have an upgrade for, those they would give the $100 in exchange for the motor/carriage.

This is correct. Some of the newer ones you do have the option, but the older ones the only option is to turn in the motor and carriage. (I guess they don't want you turning it into a radial arm router or something else.)

Wade Lippman
03-18-2014, 12:13 PM
I bought one for $70 at an auction. Found I had no room for it, and sold it to them for $100. Sure am glad it was one that couldn't be upgraded. I kept the arm and base for 4 years looking for a use, before giving up and tossing it.

Bruce Wrenn
03-18-2014, 9:31 PM
Some where I remember reading that you get box and return label, put head into box,and then drop off at UPS store, where you get receipt. After you leave, store employees take unit out of box, drop it in the dumpster out back. Check comes in the mail. All of which is a shame. A guard similar to the ones on a Delta RAS could be fitted. The holes are already there.

Duane Meadows
03-19-2014, 7:33 AM
A UPS receipt has a tracking number. Should be easy to prove/disprove that one!

Doug Ladendorf
03-19-2014, 10:13 AM
Wow, cool conspiracy theory. Maybe they take it out, dump it, reseal and send the box to cover their tracks!

Bill Space
03-19-2014, 1:24 PM
Can't respond regarding what parts to send back in exchange for $$$, but can encourage anyone who has one of the Sears Radial Arm Saws that are missing the guard, to call and get the free upgrade.

I am VERY pleased with the FREE upgrade kit they supplied. Included a new table as well. No charge. You do have to supply the model and serial number though, and I guess if someone in the past used that serial number you would be out of luck.

Installation is not difficult and the price can't be beat!

Garth Almgren
03-19-2014, 5:54 PM
When browsing Craigslist, I will send a link to the recall website to people who post saws for sale that look like they might qualify for the recall. If they don't get the recall done themselves, at least they will know about the recall and can tell the new owner about it.

Tom Stenzel
03-19-2014, 6:03 PM
There may have been a choice for the 10" saws. My older brother got the guards for his 10 inch Craftsman RAS.

That option wasn't available for the 9" RAS I inherited from my dad. You could only turn it in for the $100. I've given the saw to my younger brother and he knows about the recall. The motor bearings are about shot.

-Tom Stenzel

Doug Ladendorf
03-19-2014, 6:22 PM
The motor bearings are about shot.

They can be replaced. Might be a good choice to keep the saw in the family.

Jim Andrew
03-19-2014, 9:07 PM
The answer to your question is the motor and carriage. The carriage is the part the motor is attached to. The way to remove it is to take out the screw that keeps the carriage from rolling off the end of the arm, and pull it toward you until the motor and carriage come off the arm. Remove the screw that holds the cord to the arm, put the assembly in the box. You can keep the screw and put it back in the arm.