PDA

View Full Version : Festool Carvex Circle Jig

Mike Henderson
03-17-2014, 10:50 PM
Not too long ago, I bought the Festool Carvex jig saw because I was dissatisfied with my DeWalt Jig saw. Overall, the Carvex has been a good jig saw.

However, today I used the circle cutting jig (which I bought with the jig saw) for the first time. It's either useless, or I don't know how to use it. I copied the page out of the manual and took it into the shop and followed each step in the directions. The jig saw just would not cut a circle. It kept trying to "expand" the circle and the cut got more angled (beveled) as I cut. I finally had to stop - the wood was getting burned from the blade.

I gave up on the jig saw, marked the circle, took it to my bandsaw and cut close to the line. Then I used my MicroFence jig with my router and cut to the final size. That worked great.

A few more details: I was making a fairly large Lazy Susan - 26 inches across - in cherry. Nothing really unusual in the wood or the process that I can figure. But as far as I am concerned, that circle jig was a waste of money. I wish I had taken some pictures of the cut so you could see the burning of the wood.

Mike

John Schweikert
03-17-2014, 11:42 PM
I have the Carvex and circle attachment. Used it quite a bit. One very important thing in setting up the attachment is to have the pin that nails the tape measure down to be on the same side of the tape as the jigsaw blade. If not you'll fight it badly and never get a true circle.

So try it again tomorrow. You'll get it to work perfectly.

Max Neu
03-18-2014, 5:29 AM
Ditto what John said,the first time I tried it,I thought it was useless,until I read the directions closer.Once I started using it right,it has worked flawlessly ever since.

Mike Henderson
03-18-2014, 9:13 AM
I absolutely had the pin on the proper side. I checked and rechecked and followed the directions exactly. I'll try it again but it certainly would not work for me on this past project.

Mike

John Schweikert
03-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Few things I have found that improve cutting arcs and circles. A sharp jigsaw blade is a must. The moment a blade is worn, the blade wanders and you fight it. I use the S75/4 FSG blade mainly, it cuts cleans and cuts fast. Find the oscillating setting that works best for the material and thickness. I was doing large arcs in OSB last week, aver 250 feet of cutting arcs. Full oscillation setting and a sharp 75 FSG blade made effortless cutting. Using no oscillation made the cut very difficult and forceful. If you have to force the cut, the tape measure will begin to bend and that's the moment your circle will no longer reconnect.