PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Pump

Fred Belknap
03-17-2014, 5:01 PM
Been thinking about getting a vacuum pump. J T Turnings has one that looks pretty good. Has anyone use it and what is your opinion on it's value. It is about half the price of a new Gast pump. I have some of their products, vacuum adapter and the tail stock swing away. I now have the Hold fast system and sometimes it just doesn't do the job. Certain wood needs to be sealed before it will get any suction. :rolleyes:

Scott Hackler
03-17-2014, 7:46 PM
I don't know what Tom gets for his pumps, but I do know they are overseas units to keep down the price. For reference, I bought a rebuilt with 1 year warranty Gast rotary vane, oil less pump from an eBay seller for $159 shipped. Pulls about 26 hg on full suction. Just food for thought.

Mike Tilley
03-17-2014, 8:06 PM
Fred i use the pump that you are looking at however i got mine for stubby lathes for a little cheaper price.
I have had it since last fall purchased it after seeing it at SWAT.
It has worked very well for me is very quite and has about 23-24hg no problems holding anything that i turn.
To check it out go to Stubby lathes price $199 with a year warranty

Trevor Howard
03-18-2014, 12:33 PM
Fred, have you seen this thread where fellow creeker Matt Meiser is selling a Gast Vacuum Pump?http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?215353-Spring-Cleanup

Pat Scott
03-18-2014, 8:17 PM
I don't use the JT Turnings pump, but I did see his vacuum setup at a Symposium a few years ago. Man that pump is quiet! I was very impressed and told myself if my pump ever fails I'm buying his. I was so impressed with his pump that I thought about selling mine to buy his, but decided to use the money for other toys. I think you'd be happy if you bought his pump.