PDA

View Full Version : New Planes - Bad Bad Neander Influences

Rich Riddle
03-17-2014, 3:13 PM
I asked a simple question about getting a jointer plane and you Neanders forced me to purchase multiple planes. No one ever indicated it was addictive in the least. Well here are some pictures of the planes you recommended. It's all your fault......at least that is what the wife will hear.

Here are the Veritas and Lie Nielsen planes. Went with the "Veritas system" for some planes.

Here are the Veritas planes, a #4, a bevel up jack plane, and a bevel up #7 plane. Also have the different blades (all V-11) and the jointer attachment. Might get the bevel up smoother and one of the low angle block planes that looks like R2D2.

The items from Lie Nielsen. A rabbet block plane for tenons and he shoulder plane for cheeks. Not sure why I purchased the router plane.....hmmm.

Of course, I now need a much better bench than that thing on which you see the planes resting. The maple sits in the basement. You people have terrible influential powers. Woe is me. Who knew one little question could result in all this?

Jim Koepke
03-17-2014, 3:40 PM
So much for trying to keep drool off of my keyboard this morning.

Not sure why I purchased the router plane.....hmmm.

You will understand the first time you want to seat a hinge or make a shallow mortise.

Your first order of business should be to make something the wife has been wanting. The better it is the more likely she will be to let you buy more tools in the future.

If you do well enough, she will be asking you to buy tools so you can make things for her.

No one ever indicated it was addictive in the least.

What do you think is meant by the "slippery slope?"

jtk

bob blakeborough
03-17-2014, 4:25 PM
Yeah buddy! I know how you feel... I did the same thing. Ended up with a ton of Veritas tools in one swoop! Not gonna lie... It was AWESOME!!!

paul cottingham
03-17-2014, 4:42 PM
Dude, you've done well. Welcome to the slippery slope, you are well on the way down it!

Joe Tilson
03-17-2014, 4:46 PM
It's always somebody else at fault, somebody help me I'm sliding down this slippery slope, help!!!

Bill Houghton
03-17-2014, 5:00 PM
It's related to the principle that changing the light bulb in your bathroom fixture can, before you know it, lead to rebuilding that entire corner of the house. You know: fixture's a little loose...hmm, there's some rot...hmm, more than I thought, wonder where it's from?....hmmm, we have a roof leak there....hmmm, more rot than I thought....oh, well, I never did like that tile pattern...and on and on*.

But the slope you're on is more fun than the bathroom-light-bulb slope.

*Credit goes to Old House Journal for this example of the Mushroom Factor, in which the slightest little thing mushrooms into a giant project/hobby/change in work habits.

paul cottingham
03-17-2014, 5:26 PM
I got into woodworking building model railroad benchwork. For crying out loud. Now woodworking is afar larger part of my life than my layout.
Mushrooming indeed.

Jim Sevey
03-17-2014, 6:02 PM
I am jealous! I do love my router plane. You will find uses for it quickly and will wonder how you ever got along without it.

Frederick Skelly
03-17-2014, 7:42 PM
Man Rich, looks like your slippery slope had ice on it - thats a lotta fall, very quickly. Youre sure gonna enjoy all those beautiful new tools!

Now you know what Mr. Cottingham meant (see his lines I borrowed for my signature!)

Pat Barry
03-17-2014, 7:44 PM
I asked a simple question about getting a jointer plane and you Neanders forced me to purchase multiple planes. No one ever indicated it was addictive in the least. Well here are some pictures of the planes you recommended. It's all your fault......at least that is what the wife will hear.

Here are the Veritas and Lie Nielsen planes. Went with the "Veritas system" for some planes.

Here are the Veritas planes, a #4, a bevel up jack plane, and a bevel up #7 plane. Also have the different blades (all V-11) and the jointer attachment. Might get the bevel up smoother and one of the low angle block planes that looks like R2D2.

The items from Lie Nielsen. A rabbet block plane for tenons and he shoulder plane for cheeks. Not sure why I purchased the router plane.....hmmm.

Of course, I now need a much better bench than that thing on which you see the planes resting. The maple sits in the basement. You people have terrible influential powers. Woe is me. Who knew one little question could result in all this?

Very nice set-up, congratulations!

I am confused though about the totes. They look so vertical. I would be tempted to remind the folks at Veritas that the traditional handle, as used and practiced in the 18th century, is no longer under patent protection. What were they thinking?

lowell holmes
03-17-2014, 7:50 PM
As they used to say on the rec (the old newsgroup), he who has the most tools when he passes wins!

Rich Riddle
03-17-2014, 8:53 PM
As they used to say on the rec (the old newsgroup), he who has the most tools when he passes wins!
If the wife sees all these new tools, I might be passing soon.

Rich Riddle
03-17-2014, 8:57 PM
Very nice set-up, congratulations!

I am confused though about the totes. They look so vertical. I would be tempted to remind the folks at Veritas that the traditional handle, as used and practiced in the 18th century, is no longer under patent protection. What were they thinking?
I thought the very same thing as you, so I purchased three of the following totes from a seller on eBay.

Now if Pat hand't said that, it would have saved money....so it's Pat's fault.

Really the only couple left to ponder are the bevel up smoother (guessing that can be used on a shooting board as well) and the DX60...after that the plane days are in a holding pattern for a very long time.

Brian Holcombe
03-17-2014, 9:29 PM
American Express puts my spending into nice little departments based on vendor, I tend to avoid looking at the column next to the lumber yard I visit and the one next to Lie Nielsen.

Shawn Pixley
03-17-2014, 9:30 PM
Rich,

You forgot to mention the Titemark. You're gonna love it for layout. Welcome to the slope....

Winton Applegate
03-17-2014, 9:42 PM
Ohhhhhh now that is a pretty sight ! ! !

You sure have the bases covered there (well maybe a scrub plane if you want to get really crazy but I bet the guys will tell you where to come by one of those for practically free and they don't have to be all precise or anything just R O B U S T).

Anyway . . . I LIKE YOUR STABLE !
I look forward to seeing all the fine things you will be building with your new planes.

Winton Applegate
03-17-2014, 9:50 PM
Veritas that the traditional handle, as used and practiced in the 18th century, is no longer under patent protection. What were they thinking?

Sounds like you missed Derek's thread "Center of Effort II".
Do take a gander when you can.

I'm happy with my Veritas totes. The LN jack tote hurts me (bruised sensation in palm) not the Veritas.

Winton Applegate
03-17-2014, 9:54 PM
Not sure why I purchased the router plane.....hmmm.

It is brilliant for making the tenon cheeks parallel with the faces of a straight rail etc.
Can attach a larger home made base to it for even more stability but not all that necessary.
Super easy to take a set amount off evenly. Is trickier with a plane.
Still need the big 'O shoulder plane for the shoulders though.

paul cottingham
03-17-2014, 11:04 PM
Man Rich, looks like your slippery slope had ice on it - thats a lotta fall, very quickly. Youre sure gonna enjoy all those beautiful new tools!

Now you know what Mr. Cottingham meant (see his lines I borrowed for my signature!)
I had forgotten saying that. I'm much wiser than I thought.

Bill White
03-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Shame on you for blaming others. :)
Get in the shop and use those great planes.
Bill

Glenn Samuels
03-18-2014, 4:09 PM
Rich,

In case you are interested LN makes a woodworking bench. Had mine delivered 1 month ago and have enjoyed it every day. There is a silver lining. They take 2-3 months due to the backlog and you won't have to pay until they are ready to start making yours. Just another thing to blame on the forum.

Rich Riddle
03-18-2014, 5:00 PM
Glen,

I actually have a decent bench in the basement. It's an all wooden Shopsmith bench made from beech wood. I will make the maple workbench to fit the shop. Hope to complete it this year for the past 50th birthday.

Andy kerra
03-18-2014, 8:32 PM
Nice collection :)

It is brilliant for making the tenon cheeks parallel with the faces of a straight rail etc.
Can attach a larger home made base to it for even more stability but not all that necessary.
Super easy to take a set amount off evenly. Is trickier with a plane.
Still need the big 'O shoulder plane for the shoulders though.

I am just starting to dip my toe into the hand plane pond (no4 and no7 so far) and went back and forth on a router plane or shoulder plane. I settled on the LV router plane and got the string in-lay addition. I am working on a desk in federal style; I cannot believe how much I use it and how well it works. It is really a phenomenal little tool

Adam Cruea
03-19-2014, 7:42 AM
Slope?! You guys had a slope?

My was just a straight dead drop. My wife has forbade me from buying anymore planes (new or used) until I build a tool cabinet. :mad:

Nice purchase, Rich! :)

Jim Matthews
03-19-2014, 11:10 AM
My was just a straight dead drop. My wife has forbade me from buying anymore planes (new or used) until I build a tool cabinet. :mad:

That's what kitchen drawers are for.

Matthew N. Masail
03-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Slope?! You guys had a slope?

Nice purchase, Rich! :)

You poor poor woodworker.... build a cabinet and show her whos boss.... lol (don't really)

Adam Cruea
03-19-2014, 11:43 AM
You poor poor woodworker.... build a cabinet and show her whos boss.... lol (don't really)

I keep trying, but she has this sneaky habit of asking for more things when I'm done with the current project for her. :D

Matthew N. Masail
03-19-2014, 12:21 PM
I keep trying, but she has this sneaky habit of asking for more things when I'm done with the current project for her. :D

mmm... the plot thickens..... these women creatures are smarter than we think..

Chuck Nickerson
03-19-2014, 12:30 PM
mmm... the plot thickens..... these women creatures are smarter than we think..

Then what are they doing with us?

Matthew N. Masail
03-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Then what are they doing with us?

getting us to do stuff for them duh.... someone has to open the pickle jar... :cool:

Adam Cruea
03-20-2014, 10:46 AM
getting us to do stuff for them duh.... someone has to open the pickle jar... :cool:

And kill spiders. :D

Rich Riddle
03-20-2014, 4:27 PM
The plot might thicken. I am eyeing a couple of items while the free shipping is going on......hmmm. Looking at the DX60 block plane, perhaps another plane as well.

Matthew N. Masail
03-20-2014, 6:55 PM
We are all crazy I hope we know that... :D