PDA

View Full Version : Pin Nailer

Kevin Gerstenecker
05-20-2003, 6:07 PM
I am in the market for a Pin Nailer. It should come in handy for some small boxes and Jewelry Box project I have coming up shortly. I am confused about some reviews I have read regarding these nailers. Some say they won't shoot thru harder wood, and some say they have no problem? I thought I would throw this out to the Creek Gang, and get some REAL opinions! The several manufacturers I have looked at seem to be close in price, so what should I look for in a Pin Nailer? I realize that these small fasteners have limitations, and I will probably be using it on Walnut, Cherry, Oak and perhaps a few Exotic Species as well. Also, most of the small projects I build are with thinner stock, up to 3/8. I like the idea of a virtually invisible hole, and reduced chance of splitting, and I think a Pin Nailer would be a valuable tool addition. As always, all opinions and comments are valued and much appreciated. :D

Phil Phelps
05-20-2003, 8:04 PM
....Give Steve Jenkins a shout. He has a neat little pin nailer at his shop. 'Course he uses common nails in all his fine furniture :p

Seriously, it's a dandy and I'm sure it penetrates hard wood. It's all he ever uses.

Jim Becker
05-20-2003, 8:32 PM
Kevin, I have the Accuset pinner and it's wonderful...a very versatile tool, especially for very fine and small moldings and small projects like you talked about. While the Accuset is no longer being produced, Senco has rereleased essentially the same tool available as the Senco FP-10. It sells for about $125.

I've not had any problems with any materials I've used it with, but keep in mind that the harder the material, the less likely you'll want to be shooting the longer 23 guage pins. (they come in 1/2" 5/8" 3/4" and 1")

One thing I've used it for is jigging with 1/2" MDF or thin plywood, too. It makes things that are easy to take apart when you are done the task at hand.

Bob Lasley
05-20-2003, 10:54 PM
Kevin,

I also have the Accuset and it has done a fine job for me. I primarily use it for attaching small moulding such as to hold glass in cabinet doors. I have used it in hard woods such as oak and ash with no problems.

Bob

Keith Zavodney
05-21-2003, 12:11 AM
I also have the Accuset... it sure leaves a small hole. It's surprising how well a headless pin holds. I've used it on oak and walnut without problems... as with any pneumatic nail gun, you can adjust the pressure.

Keith

Lee Lamb
05-21-2003, 9:10 AM
I also have the Accuset 23 ga. micropinner. No problem with penetration in oak, zebrawood, and padauk. It leaves a very small hole. It was worth the money to me.

Kevin Post
05-21-2003, 10:54 AM
I've got an old Senco pinner. It's an LS1 if I recall. Although it has has been discontinued for a long time, it still works great.

The pinner has been useful for applying small trim pieces and holding things in place while gluing. The holes are nearly invisible. I've had no trouble shooting through any kind of hardwood. The fastners don't have a lot of holding power but I don't think they were intended for that anyway...

-Kevin

John Renzetti
05-21-2003, 1:25 PM
Hi, On the recommendation of a couple of friends who have them, I bought the Italian made Omer 28. I compared this one with a couple of others at the IWF and found it had what I felt was a nicer feel and look. I got mine from the nailzone in AL. Seems to be the best price for it.
Take care,
John

Bob Marino
05-21-2003, 9:49 PM
I agree with John. I have the Omer 28. I haven't compared it to any others, bought it on a recommendation from Select Machinery in Queens, NY. It is all metal, beautifully made and even elegant looking with that metallic finish. Probably will never, ever wear out, but realistically who is going to shoot enough pins to wear out any good pin gun?
More money than I needed to spend for my applications for sure, but one hell of a tool. One dig...for that money a carrying case should be included.

Bob Marino

Dar Lounsbury
05-21-2003, 10:54 PM
Does anyone have a website for Omer 28 pinners? This is one I have not heard of.

Bob Marino
05-22-2003, 7:41 AM
The site is Omer Diect..

Bob Marino

Paul Di Biasio
05-22-2003, 9:23 PM
I have the Accuset A100 Micro Pinner by Senco and I have been very happy with it. I have used it on maple and cherry with good results.

Good Luck

J.R. Rutter
05-24-2003, 3:04 PM
Mine has 5-10 1/2" pins jammed inside the magazine. Still useable, but don't trust the indicator for an empty magazine. Disassembly for repair, service is difficult (their customer service rep recommended a new gun - not under warranty). It is fine for occaisional use, but didn't hold up for me.
-JR