PDA

View Full Version : Caster wheel issue - Woodstock/Shop Fox mobile bases

Jim Laumann
03-17-2014, 1:59 PM
There were some comments/responses in the thread "I have to lift a 20" thickness planer" by Mac Cambra about the poor quality wheels used on the Shop Fox base - and so as to avoid hi-jacking Mac's post, I post my request seperately.

Being as I just purchased my 3rd Shop Fox base (and was un-aware of this flaw), I would like to know more about this issue. So far, the heaviest tool I've got in them is my G0513XF2 band saw (400# +/-).

My question is - how heavy a machine will those bases support before the wheels problem begins to show? I eyeballed the wheels on the base under the G0513, and so far they look ok.

Many thanks

Jim

John Schweikert
03-17-2014, 2:18 PM
I have the Shop Fox mobile base for my Grizzly bandsaw. I'm not sure if my frustration with the base is the same as those comments on the wheels, but in general I hate that mobile base with a passion. It's not smooth, it wobbles, it seems to "stick" before finally rolling. The swivel aspect of the casters is slow to respond for rotation.

I bought the HTC2000 base for my Jet jointer and holy smokes is that thing so much more pleasant an experience. I've ordered another HTC and will dump the Shop Fox in short time. The HTC has a smaller surrounding footprint, sits lower, moves smoother. The cam levers for the wheels are easier and faster to use than the silly magnetic screw knobs on my Shop Fox base.

I hate to be so negative on the product but after a year and a half it's time for me to move on from that base. I have to use a mobile base because my shop setup is tight and I roll the tools out when working on larger pieces of wood.

Loren Woirhaye
03-17-2014, 2:29 PM
The Amazon reviews say the wheels on the newer ones are better.

I loaded my Shop Fox base with a 600lb. machine. That was over the limit for a couple of the tires. I don't know the age of the mobile base as I acquired it in purchasing a used machine.