PDA

View Full Version : Buying electrical tools

Dave Lehnert
03-16-2014, 10:28 PM
Found myself in need of some electrical tools used for wiring in a manufacturing setting.
Who is the Rockler or Woodcraft of the electrical world? Best place to buy on-line.

I know of Klein tools and Fluke multimeter. Other than that not familiar with brands that are good and bad. I tend to buy middle of the road in quality till I find out what tools I use the most and need better.

Rich Riddle
03-16-2014, 10:49 PM
Many folks make decent equipment. If you are talking meters and such, Hioki makes a decent meter (Japanese). Gossen (European) in a step-up from Fluke and Hioki. If you like analog, an old Simpson 260 is a standard (American). The old Fluke meters (American) are better regarded than the new ones (Chinese). Avoid the cheap meters; they can prove quite dangerous to your health. What you are really wanting is a true RMS meter. Expect to pay about sixty dollars or more for one.

Klein is the standard. Greenlee is also a good standard. What type of tools do you want?

David G Baker
03-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Klein and Greenlee as Rich wrote are the tools I depend on. I have never regretted buying either brand. They aren't the cheapest on the market or the most expensive but they are a little above the middle of the road.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Amazon is actually not a bad place to source Klein. Fastenal cut me a great deal for buying 3 $600 Fluke meters last year, if you are buying multiples, worth a look. Waytek is a good source for the components, but not great for tools. Your local electricians wholesaler can be a useful resource if you have a buddy who is an electrician, (if you aren't).

Mike Cozad
03-17-2014, 5:39 AM
I too used Klein and Greenlee both in my Navy career as a Submarine Fire Control Tech and my early manufacturing career as a field service engineer in an Intel plant. They never let me down. I am lucky and have American made Fluke meters, a much better option than the current offerings. Maybe craigslist?

Boy, I havent seen a Simpson in years. That takes me back a bit... Great tool...

Jim Matthews
03-17-2014, 7:26 AM
Search your local electric supply house.

They will help set you straight on what's really needed, and what will just gather dust.
If they're within 10% of online prices, buy from them so you can ask for help as needed.

FYI - If you're pulling wire in conduits, a browse of local code is in order.

Von Bickley
03-17-2014, 11:22 AM
Here is my list of electrical tools based on many years of electrical work.

1. Klein 9" side-cutters
2. Klein - set of screw drivers to include holding screw drivers and a cabinet screw driver
3. Klein - set of nut-drivers
4. Wire strippers
5. Chanel Lock slip-joint pliers
6. Thomas & Betts sta-kon crimpers
7. Ridgid 14" pipe wrench
8. Hack saw
9. Adjustable & combination wrenches
10. Ratchet and socket set
11. Wiggy voltage tester
12. amp meter
13. In the workplace, we used Fluke multi-meters and Simpson analog meters.
14. A stick ruler or tape measure
15. Hex wrenches
16. A good quality tool pouch & belt

This should get you started.....

Paul McGaha
03-17-2014, 11:37 AM
I've been in the electrical field since 1977.

For hand tools for electrical work I'd recommend Klein. Only thing I'd buy really.

As for as meters go there are several good makers: Fluke, Ideal, Amprobe, Greenlee just to name a few.

You might visit one of your local electrical supply houses to look the tools and the meters over. You might call ahead and confirm they have a good stock of tools. Most do but some don't.

PHM

Pat Barry
03-17-2014, 1:14 PM
Newark electronics and Grainger sell what you are looking for

Dave Lehnert
03-17-2014, 6:27 PM
Thanks everyone.

The list Von posted above is of great help. I will check each item out.
Also never knew about Newark,
When I say wiring in a manufacturing setting, I will be working in production of a product. Custom made. The company provides all the expensive tools, but we use our personal tools 90% of the time.

I do have a specific question on a tool. A screw-holding driver.

I have used a type of driver (Craftsman) That held the screw with what looked like tweezers on the end of a screwdriver.
I now see this type offered by Greenlee and others. How do they perform? The tip looks big.

https://greenlee-media.precis5.com/0/450/46b2644cbdf489fac0e2d192212d206d

Rich Riddle
03-17-2014, 9:08 PM
I too used Klein and Greenlee both in my Navy career as a Submarine Fire Control Tech and my early manufacturing career as a field service engineer in an Intel plant. They never let me down. I am lucky and have American made Fluke meters, a much better option than the current offerings. Maybe craigslist?

Boy, I havent seen a Simpson in years. That takes me back a bit... Great tool...
Here are the two meters I most use in the order of use.

Does that take you back Mike? I find it's easier to use in most applications. But when needed and not sentimental, I use this Gosson:
In the travel bag is an old Fluke 73. Then there is a Hioki true RMS meter. I give away Craftsman meters to others but don't use them myself.

I do agree with everyone who says stay with Klein and Greenlee for all electrical tools but cannot afford to purchase through Grainger. Is it me or are they a bit on the expensive side?

Mike Cozad
03-17-2014, 9:16 PM
Does that take you back Mike?

Boy does it ever. I like my fluke for some of the bells and whistles I use it for, but that 260 is just an exceptional tool that is hard to beat.

Von Bickley
03-17-2014, 9:25 PM
This is the type of holding screwdriver that we used...... but that was many years ago.

http://www.seton.com/klein-tools-vacoand-174-slotted-screw-holding-screwdrivers-ee039.html?keycode=WS0194&mkwid=axrEgq2V&pcrid=34843189322&pdv=c&gclid=CLO-wdn0mr0CFSNk7AodpDYAbw

Paul McGaha
03-18-2014, 9:11 AM
Here are the two meters I most use in the order of use.

Does that take you back Mike? I find it's easier to use in most applications. But when needed and not sentimental, I use this Gosson:
In the travel bag is an old Fluke 73. Then there is a Hioki true RMS meter. I give away Craftsman meters to others but don't use them myself.

I do agree with everyone who says stay with Klein and Greenlee for all electrical tools but cannot afford to purchase through Grainger. Is it me or are they a bit on the expensive side?

Simpson 260-6. 1st really good meter I ever had. Probably around 1985. Dropped something on it and knocked the glass lens out of position, bent the needle. Never really the same.

One thing about buying meters, If for a construction environment, Buys something you can live with being lost, stolen or broken. Because it does happen.

PHM

Ole Anderson
03-18-2014, 2:52 PM
I get by with a digital Amprobe meter, but then it is mainly for hobby work although I have used it for checking amperage and voltage on some big (40 hp) well motors. Klein is the standard for American tools, but I had a set of Knipex dykes that are even nicer. That is until I cut a hot 12 ga wire that didn't trip the breaker. Now they work as 10 ga strippers.

Bill Bukovec
03-18-2014, 8:57 PM
I'm a big fan of using Probemaster DMM leads, the 8000 series.

It's handy to have the extra accessories that Probemaster sells, sometimes it's like having an extra hand. The set is about $35 (shipped).

Bill

Tom Stenzel
03-19-2014, 5:48 PM
Before you buy any meter, find out if there’s a requirement for Cat III/ Cat IV ratings where you work. Also some places may not allow the use of Wiggies as there’s some doubt if they satisfy the OSHA zero volt measurement, and some have ignored the duty cycle rating.

Consider usability too. With my trifocals I found a backlit display was an absolute need.

Before I retired, I speced out and bought the meters for the Instrument shop. When I started in the ordering business we bought Fluke 8060A meters. When those were discontinued we went with the Fluke 187 meters. When those were discontinued I looked at the 287 (really cool meter) but the size was such that I couldn’t see using one on a ladder. I ended up choosing the Fluke 88-V. Excellent meter but pricey.

At home I use a Etcon brand Wiggie (a buck at a garage sale) and a Triplett 310-C I bought new in 1984.

My backup meter? A PSM-6. That should bring back memories for some here, dunno if they’ll be good ones. No I don’t have a digital meter at home, haven’t had a need for one.

I don’t count the Heathkit IM-28 VTVM I built when I was 16. It rarely gets turned on. It’s screwed to my workbench riser just for looks.

-Tom Stenzel