PDA

View Full Version : Download/upload useage monitor

Lee Schierer
03-16-2014, 4:38 PM
I'm looking at getting a phone with a mobile hotspot so we can use our laptop when we don't have Wifi through the phone so we can actually browse and see the screen. In order to determine what data plan I might need, I would like to monitor how much data I actually download and upload in a typical period of time when using my laptop. Is there a free program that would work on windows 7 that will record the total data flow in and out of my computer from session to session so that over the course of a week I would know how much I have used?

Bill Cunningham
03-16-2014, 4:51 PM
Your router may have one built in.. Netgear has a program named Genie. I don't know if it works with other routers, but it works great here..

Lee Schierer
03-16-2014, 7:40 PM
Your router may have one built in.. Netgear has a program named Genie. I don't know if it works with other routers, but it works great here..

We have a Cisco router, but the router is shared by two other devices.

Roger Feeley
03-16-2014, 11:49 PM
From what I've seen, the cell companies want to charge you for the hotspot. If you only want one computer and you have an Android phone, take a look at PDANet. You have to hard wire your computer to the phone with a USB cable. I've used it when hotels want to charge a bunch for wifi and it works just fine.

maybe if you aren't paying for the hot spot feature, you can put the money towards a better data plan?

Lee Schierer
03-17-2014, 9:56 AM
From what I've seen, the cell companies want to charge you for the hotspot. If you only want one computer and you have an Android phone, take a look at PDANet. You have to hard wire your computer to the phone with a USB cable. I've used it when hotels want to charge a bunch for wifi and it works just fine.

maybe if you aren't paying for the hot spot feature, you can put the money towards a better data plan?

I looked at a Droid Mini and it is hotspot capable with no extra charge and can use my phone data plan when the computer is connected, but unless I know how much data my laptop actually is using, I won't know if the data plan I am looking at will be anywhere near adequate.

Myk Rian
03-17-2014, 11:17 AM
I do know Verizon has a 10gig, and maybe a 25gig data plan. The 10g is like $45 access fee.
It used to be easy to use my Samsung GS3 as a hotspot, not using the Verizon app, which they charge for.
The last update to Jelly Bean (4.3) broke all of them, but those on the XDA developers site have been working feverishly to break it back.