PDA

View Full Version : Vortex bowl

Grant Wilkinson
03-16-2014, 11:03 AM
I called it Vortex only because Dizzy and Twisted were taken. I thought of calling it "the flush", but it sounded a bit rude.

Both Tom Lohman and Denny Edwards were very generous is answering my questions and providing advice. Denny's video was key in understanding how these are put together.

This one is made from shop scraps of maple, oak, mahogany and purple heart. Clearly, it could use some walnut or another dark wood for contrast.

There are 24 rings, each just under 3/16" thick. The overall size is 8.5" in diameter and 4.75" tall. The finish is a couple or three coats of lacquer based sanding sealer and as much pre-cat lacquer as was left in the rattle can.

Michelle Rich
03-16-2014, 12:36 PM
it's a lot of work to make these, but I think yours turned out very well. congratulations!

Bob Coates
03-16-2014, 4:30 PM
I think the 3/16 is a better thickness than what I had. Very nice. You could have called it "better dizzy bowl"
Bob

John M. Smith
03-16-2014, 4:35 PM
Very nice. I've had one of these on my radar to do. Just don't really know where to begin.

Grant Wilkinson
03-16-2014, 6:57 PM
Tks, everyone.

Bob: That's very nice of you, but I don't look on it as "better", merely different. I cut the rings to 1/4, then planed them down to somewhere between 1/8 and 3/16. By the time I sanded them again on the bowl, they were likely closer to 1/8. When you turn them on the angle, of course, you end up with a larger visible cross section. I wouldn't mind trying to go a bit thinner, but my planer was close to tearing them apart as it was.

John: Watch Denny Edwards' video and you'll get a step by step instruction, then it's just time watching glue dry.