PDA

View Full Version : 1,000 grit replacement - 3 choices

Tony Wilkins
03-15-2014, 11:24 PM
I want to replace my Hida 1,000 grit sharpening stone. Which of these three stones would you recommend/choose:

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=335_404_587_592&products_id=1988

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=335_404_587_591&products_id=1983

http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=335_404_620_622&products_id=2093

:and why?

I have the small 'drum' set of the dual stones that I really like. I know many probably aren't familiar with this brand but I seem to resonate with their offerings. If you haven't used them, let me know what you think of their characteristics - one is a hard, fairly straight-forward stone; one is two-sides of the same grit with one side being fast and soft versus the other that is hard and not so fast; the last is a hard stone that works with water or oil. The last one is what I have in miniature and it works really well. I picked 600 grit on each because that seems to equal 1,000 grit in a conventional stone like I have currently.

Derek Cohen
03-15-2014, 11:44 PM
Tony, why do you want to replace a 1000 grit stone with a 600 grit? That does not make sense at all!

If you do not find that the 1000 is cutting well enough - and I have not used the stone you have - you first must ask "why?": you may be expecting too much and not using it long enough. It may be loaded with swarf and not cutting as well as it could (so clean it - regular flattening is not just to flatten but to release the grit and keep the surface clean). You may be using a steel that is unsuited to the stone. No doubt others here will offer more thoughts.

If the stone is indeed slow, then get a 1000 grit that cuts it (couldn't resist the pun .. sorry). I have a 1200 Sigma which is a fine stone but discovered that the Shapton Pro 1000 I already had was better. So I continue using the Shapton (the Sigma is a 1200/13000 combo, so the 13K is used alone). I can recommend the Shapton Pro 1000.

One of the other reasons I do not recommend a 600 grit is that the scratches it forms will be deeper than a 1000 and lead to more work to remove on another stone. Everything is a system and one part affects the next.

With regard the Drum set you like, if they work for you and you are happy with their performance, then another's opinion is unimportant.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Tony Wilkins
03-16-2014, 1:02 AM
My problem with my current stone isn't that it is slow or doesn't cut but rather I'd prefer a 'soak-less' stone. I picked the 600 in those lines because they are said to perform more like a 1,000 grit stone than a 600 grit (i.e.. leaving smaller scratches and more polish than typical 600 grits).

Derek Cohen
03-16-2014, 2:00 AM
I want to replace my Hida 1,000 grit sharpening stone. Which of these three stones would you recommend/choose ....

.... My problem with my current stone isn't that it is slow or doesn't cut but rather I'd prefer a 'soak-less' stone. I picked the 600 in those lines because they are said to perform more like a 1,000 grit stone than a 600 grit (i.e.. leaving smaller scratches and more polish than typical 600 grits).

Tony, then why not get a soakless 1000 grit?

Both the Shapton Pro 1000 and the Sigma 1200 I mention above are "soakless". In practice, however, most stones benefit from more water than one realises.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Curt Putnam
03-16-2014, 4:39 AM
Why not just ask Stu? I believe he'll give you and straight and knowledgeable answer - better than ours. Absent a Stu query, listen to Derek.

Matthew N. Masail
03-16-2014, 5:06 AM
I'd go with option #2 since it has option #1 in it. HOWEVER, option no #2 'soft' side needs soaking. so maybe no#3 is your best bet out of the 3:)

David Weaver
03-16-2014, 9:43 AM
I haven't used those. The shapton pro 1000 glued to something makes a great 1000 grit stone, given it's a touch on the coarse side. The bester 1200 is also a fantastic fast cutting medium stone, and the sp 1200 harder and more refined, and a little finer. For the role of raising a wire edge quickly, I prefer the first two, but the SP is nice, too.