PDA

View Full Version : Jessem doweling jig mod suggestions?

Phil Thien
03-15-2014, 9:48 PM
Hi.

I have the less expensive Jessem doweling jig, and I'm happy with it. But I was using it the other day and noticed that there were two already machined holes that are ideally located for adding a little clamping block. So this evening I cut a piece of scrap and drilled a couple holes for cross dowels and found that it is quite solid.

So now I need to fashion some sort of clamping foot on the end of a threaded stud, with a knob. Any ideas? Not sure what to use. I may use two feet to provide more even pressure. I figured I'd just use some more of the cross dowels (1/4-20) as an alternative to threaded inserts, but I'm not sold on that.

Any ideas?

Bill Huber
03-16-2014, 10:13 AM
I think I would go with an aluminum block, drill it and tape it for the mount and then drill 2 holes and tape them for the clamp.

I have these 2 screws I could send you, they are 1 7/8" long, thread is 5/16-18 on the outside and then there is a hole that is taped 6-32 in the center of the it. The center is for mounting a disk or something to press against the wood.

284872 284873

Phil Thien
03-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Thanks for that kind offer. The disc used to apply pressure is sort of my hang-up. I'm trying to find something I could use at my local hardware store and coming up a bit short.

And I'll admit that this has come up before and I've been equally stumped previously.

I think places like Rockler or Woodcraft should offer this sort of stuff as jig components.

I may actually just give-up, this isn't really that big a deal to warrant too much goofing with. The bar clamp is really sufficient, I just figured it would save some time when doing material up to approx. 1-3/4" thick.

Matt Schroeder
03-16-2014, 12:10 PM
Phil,

How about the bolt and foot part of an adjustable cabinet support as your adjustable clamping disk, like these from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/adjustable-supports? Perhaps run this through a threaded insert or t-nut, jam nut on both sides of a knob on the exposed end, and away you go?

Matt

Phil Thien
03-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Phil,

How about the bolt and foot part of an adjustable cabinet support as your adjustable clamping disk, like these from Rockler http://www.rockler.com/adjustable-supports? Perhaps run this through a threaded insert or t-nut, jam nut on both sides of a knob on the exposed end, and away you go?

Matt

Thanks Matt, I'll look into that.

ken masoumi
03-16-2014, 3:11 PM
How about using the bolt and foot of a C clamp? but you must destroy the clamp to get the parts you want.

Phil Thien
03-16-2014, 3:49 PM
How about using the bolt and foot of a C clamp? but you must destroy the clamp to get the parts you want.

I had thought of that but can the foot be removed and reinstalled w/o destroying the clamp? I don't mind buying a cheap c-clamp and using it for donor parts, but if I can't get the foot off and back on again, there would be no way to install it into the block on the doweling jig.

ken masoumi
03-16-2014, 6:38 PM
I had thought of that but can the foot be removed and reinstalled w/o destroying the clamp? I don't mind buying a cheap c-clamp and using it for donor parts, but if I can't get the foot off and back on again, there would be no way to install it into the block on the doweling jig.
I would not remove the foot off the bolt.the only possible way in my opinion is to cut the bolt from the handle end(where it's normally grabbed in order to tighten/loosen the C clamp) so it can be screwed in to the dowelling jig,you could always drill a new hole in the end of that bolt to pass a 3" rod through to act as a new handle .

Phil Thien
03-16-2014, 8:18 PM
I would not remove the foot off the bolt.the only possible way in my opinion is to cut the bolt from the handle end(where it's normally grabbed in order to tighten/loosen the C clamp) so it can be screwed in to the dowelling jig,you could always drill a new hole in the end of that bolt to pass a 3" rod through to act as a new handle .

I took a look at some c-clamps I have and I'm not sure I have any sort of threaded insert they would match.

I also stopped at the hardware store and they have a 3/8" leveler that I think may do the trick.

ken masoumi
03-16-2014, 8:42 PM
A couple levers with long threaded stems will probably do the trick,let us know how the jig turns out.

Matt Schroeder
03-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Phil,

Any update to report? I have been using my new dowel jig this weekend while working on a new kitchen table. I really like the jig, especially the ability to line up holes in one board onto another using the pin in a previously drilled hole. Your clamping idea has me intrigued, so I am wondering if you have done any more development I can steal as I start looking into modifying my jig.

Matt