PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Cash's pronunciation history

Stephen Tashiro
03-15-2014, 4:26 PM
On the recordings I've heard of Johnny Cash, his pronunciation is very proper and I don' hear a strong southern accent. Did he always sing that way or did he have a strong accent and loose it as he did more performances?

A vaguely remembered incident from childhood motivates this question. I recall seeing a segment of the Ed Sullivan show where a country comedian's act consisted of songs that satirized various country and western singers. The act was an embarrasing failure since the urban studio audience didn't understand the material. I recall that he sang "Ring of Fire" and the punch line was apparently the pronunciation of the lines "Ring of Four! Ring of Four!". Did Johnny Cash every pronounced "fire" that way. I've never heard a recording where he did.

Dan Hintz
03-15-2014, 4:45 PM
Listen to British singers talk and sing. Try viewing an interview with Adelle... she can be difficult to understand if you're not used to the vernacular and accent, but hearing her sing you'd swear there wasn't an accent at all. Singing uses a different part of the brain than speech, hence why people who stutter are taught to hold a monotone note when speaking.

Stephen Tashiro
03-15-2014, 4:54 PM
, hence why people who stutter are taught to hold a monotone note when speaking.

I didn't know that Johnny stuttered. (...just joking).

Bill Cunningham
03-15-2014, 5:52 PM
I didn't know that Johnny stuttered. (...just joking).
He didn't, but his good buddy Mel Tillis did. But, it never showed up in any of his vocals. Just in conversation.. I used to party with a lot of folks in Nashville back in the 60's..

John Coloccia
03-15-2014, 6:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aweaoakyK8

Andy Pogue
03-17-2014, 4:53 PM
Funny, I've lived in Tennessee all my life and never noticed a "southern accent"....... but ya'll from other places sure do talk different!

Wade Lippman
03-17-2014, 8:07 PM
Listen to British singers talk and sing. Try viewing an interview with Adelle... she can be difficult to understand if you're not used to the vernacular and accent, but hearing her sing you'd swear there wasn't an accent at all. Singing uses a different part of the brain than speech, hence why people who stutter are taught to hold a monotone note when speaking.

She affects an American accent when she sings. Abba didn't even speak English, but they sang in an American accent. (or for those of you from the South, in a Midwest American Accent)

Bill Edwards(2)
03-17-2014, 8:11 PM
Funny, I've lived in Tennessee all my life and never noticed a "southern accent"....... but ya'll from other places sure do talk different!

Tennessee Ernie Ford said Jimmy Carter was the 1st president that didn't have an accent.