PDA

View Full Version : Oiling new nailer

Yonak Hawkins
03-15-2014, 3:17 PM
I bought a replacement Porter Cable brad nailer and the instruction said not to oil occasionally as I have always done with my air tools. Is there something new about their nailers that doesn't require lubrication or is this a way to decrease the service longevity of their tools and increase their sales ?

Dave Kirby
03-15-2014, 3:21 PM
This is a very good and valid question! Wish I had an answer, but I will be monitoring this thread as I am very curious also!

Bill White
03-15-2014, 5:26 PM
All my PC nailers are those that require a dash of oil. I've heard of those that don't require the oil, so I don't have an answer.
I would expect that newer tech might have different "o" rings.
Keep us posted as to your findings.
Bill

Cody Colston
03-15-2014, 9:01 PM
I oil all of mine...those that specify it and those that don't. I figure a little lube never hurt anything.

Rick Lizek
03-15-2014, 10:41 PM
There are nail guns that use special plastic cylinders and different types of piston o-rings and oiling is detrimental to them. Sounds like it might be the case. 25 years ago at the tool dealer I worked for sold a Senco that you weren't supposed to oil and it had the special sleeve.

Rich Engelhardt
03-16-2014, 9:50 AM
What Rick said....

(some of) The PC nailers are oil free.
Oiling them will destroy the seals.

I may be wrong here since it's been a long time since I checked & I don't want to take the time to look it all up again...
Having said that - I don't believe you can rebuild the newer oil free PC nailers.
I'm pretty sure once they quit, you toss them and buy a new one.

You'll have to look up the model number of your nailer and see if there's a rebuild kit available.

Art Mann
03-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Contrary to what another poster advised, my recommendation is to not to lubricate if that is what the instructions say. There are many situations where introducing a foreign material will damage a tool not designed to use it. If Porter Cable wanted to build a tool with a limited lifespan, they wouldn't have to resort to advising owners not to use necessary oil.

Jim Andrew
03-16-2014, 1:02 PM
I have a Senco stapler that has the plastic cylinder, and was told when I purchased it probably 25 years ago to not oil it. The plastic cylinder broke, had it rebuilt some years ago, cost about 1/2 of purchase price which at that time was a lot more than similar tools nowdays. But it still works, just don't use it as much. And I still don't oil it.

Dennis McDonaugh
03-16-2014, 7:48 PM
I have a Senco stapler that has the plastic cylinder, and was told when I purchased it probably 25 years ago to not oil it. The plastic cylinder broke, had it rebuilt some years ago, cost about 1/2 of purchase price which at that time was a lot more than similar tools nowdays. But it still works, just don't use it as much. And I still don't oil it.

I just bought a new Hitachi round head nailer to replace a PC nailer that quit. The rebuild kit was over $100 for a nailer I paid $179 for six years ago. That's crazy for a bunch of O-rings and plastic parts.