PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a blind person to turn.

Russell Neyman
03-15-2014, 11:29 AM
A recent article in the AAW magazine has inspired me to take on the challenge of teaching a blind person to turn. I love to teach anyway, would enjoy the challenge, and think that this would be inspirational to other members of our Woodturners group here in the Western Shore of Puget Sound.

I realize that this will be a tough assignment and will require some special equipment.. The student will need to be fearless and determined. I imagine it will take several months, and we'd probably start with something simple-- a baseball bat?

Anyone know of a person in my area with limited sight who'd be willing to accept the challenge?

ray hampton
03-15-2014, 3:12 PM
check with the board of education, if there is many blind people living close to you then there may be a association for the blind that provide training for the blind
GOOD LUCK with the turning

Brian Kent
03-15-2014, 3:28 PM
I wonder if something like a pen would be easier to start with. Smaller size = less physics problems.

Richard Madden
03-15-2014, 7:57 PM
I can't answer your question on knowing anyone in your area, but I'd like to share a quick story about a blind turner in my woodturning club. Last year we had an ornament exchange and I drew an ornament turned by a blind turner. I'm fairly new to this club and when I asked where the turner of the ornament was so I could thank him, I was directed toward Michael. To say I was in awe of the quality of craftsmanship would be an understatement, but then to realize it was done by a blind man...well, let's just say I was blown away. This guy is really good and when I look at his ornament, and then look at some I have done, I am put to shame but at the same time very proud to have his work in my collection. So it can definitely be done and I wish you the best of luck. I think I agree with Brian on starting with something like a pen first.

ray hampton
03-15-2014, 8:48 PM
I wonder if something like a pen would be easier to start with. Smaller size = less physics problems.

turning a pen may work BUT you may be surprise as to what they can turn out ,a bowling pen or pin may be too big but maybe not

Harry Robinette
03-15-2014, 9:38 PM
My niece is almost blind (she is legally blind ) and she ask me to teach her how to turn. Her mother my sister about went crazy then I told her she works with kitchen knives that are just as sharp. It took a couple months turning once a week but she now has my carbo-tech lathe and a chuck and her own tools. She turns ornaments, jewelry and small bowls and plates,she is getting pretty good.I had fun but it is DIFFERENTLY DIFFERENT TEACHING. You'll have a ball.

Wally Dickerman
03-16-2014, 1:37 PM
Russell, I suggest yoou check with the Lighthouse For The Blind in either Tacoma or Seattle.

At the AAW symposium in June I am on the panel of a discussion group on woodturning for the handicapped, which includes blind people. One of the people on the panel is blind and she is a turner. My part is working with older turners and their physical problems in turning.

Russell Neyman
03-16-2014, 9:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback, especially Wally. Part of this exercise will be to think it through and plan it carefully.