PDA

View Full Version : Walnut dining room table finish suggestions.

Casey kerner
03-15-2014, 10:52 AM
Hey all, I am almost to the finishing stages of my project and I am having a problem deciding on what finish to use. I am wanting to use a water based conversion varnish for the durability of the finish. I will be spraying it with a Fuji MM 3 system. Have any of you guys or gals used a CV? I am thinking about the General Finishes Conversion varnish or the Mohawk line. The price point is not too much of an issue so keep that in mind with replies. Any insight would be great. Pro's, cons, suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help!

KC284820284821

Ryan Scott
03-15-2014, 11:40 AM
I've used a few CV's, had success with all that I've tried. But the one I personally settled up was ML Campbell Krystal. While I slightly prefer ML Campbell to Mohawk based on my personal impression of look after, and ease of use, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Mohawk as well.

Casey kerner
03-15-2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have not looked at the ML Campbell yet. I will take a look at it. Do you have any pictures of it on a finished project? Thanks!

Casey kerner
03-15-2014, 11:53 AM
I think that the Krystal version is solvent based, is this correct? I don't have a spray booth but am planing to spray outdoors in a pop up shelter. Have you used any water based products Ryan?

Ryan Scott
03-15-2014, 1:08 PM
I think that the Krystal version is solvent based, is this correct? I don't have a spray booth but am planing to spray outdoors in a pop up shelter. Have you used any water based products Ryan?

I've used a Mohawk water based "water white" CV, don't remember the product name. In my opinion it didn't give the depth and pop to the wood that other solvent based products did, but that was just on one project. And most of my use is on exotic veneers, highly figured stuff where I want the absolute max pop. For the most part I stick with solvent, so I'm not the best person to give opinions on water based.

Michael Mahan
03-15-2014, 5:22 PM
Have you looked at the Target WB products ?

Steve Schoene
03-15-2014, 6:50 PM
Remember that water clear finishes will just not give the life and depth of oil based finishes, which typically impart an amber color that helps with definition. Also know that some waterborne finishes still have a bluish cast that really looks horrible on walnut and similar dark woods. A few drops of amber dye concentrate can help a lot. Alternatively, you can use an oil for an initial coat, applying waterborne top coats only after the oil has well cured--a week being safe.

Note too, that waterborne "conversion varnishes" are just particularly durable waterborne finishes most always inferior to quality solvent based conversion varnishes. Still few application really require the very most durable finish. You can get a good guide if the finish you are contemplating using meets the KCMA standard. Many time meeting the standard requires a specific schedule of sealers and film thicknesses.

Thomas S Stockton
03-15-2014, 7:03 PM
I used Target coatings waterborne conversion varnish and added their crosslinker to it, really happy with the results. Sprays really nice and I didn't have any problems and have never sprayed waterborne before.
Read the instructions since there are somethings that are a little different, like if you need to sand between coats you have to dry sand and how long it needs to cure before rubbing out.
They have a good forum that answers questions as well as a phone # and the tech guy is the owner and is extremely helpful.
I found it as easy as the solvent based conversion varnish I've been using.
Tom

Casey kerner
03-16-2014, 9:23 AM
Thank you all for the responses. I have found a local store that caries M.L. Campbell products and they swear by the KlearVar finish and may have convinced me to try that stuff. I just want to do this right the first time. I am hesitant to spray water based products from the tips you guys have given. I am looking for the grain "pop" and love the look of walnut with some oil on it so that may be the way I go. Now I just have to figure out how to get the area warm enough to spray the finish. I may have to tarp all the equipment in the garage and spray in there. Just have to have the wife and kids use the front door instead of the garage, aka "shop". I will of course spray some test pieces first before I try it on the project. Thanks again for the direction. Great forum here.

KC