PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 17" bandsaw vs. 14" with riser block

Rob Miller
03-15-2014, 12:13 AM
I'd like to get a little advice here, please. I'm considering getting a bandsaw and have been looking at the G0513ANV 17" 2 HP Bandsaw, Anniversary Edition (http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0513ANV) but I'm wondering if I really need a saw that big. I primarily want to cut bowl blanks but I'd like to be able to resaw a fairly large sized log (I just got a bunch of large pieces of green hickory I need to resaw) -- I think the 6" limit of a 14" saw without a riser would be restrictive. I suppose I could get the G0555LANV 14" Deluxe Bandsaw - Anniversary Edition (http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0555LANV) with a riser block. The 17" seems to be priced pretty reasonably. Does anybody have any experience with either of the two options? I'll look forward to reading your comments.

Thanks!
Rob Miller
Scottsdale

Tim Tibbetts
03-15-2014, 2:12 AM
Rob,

I don't have any experience with either of your options - but I was considering the 17" Grizzly last year - instead, I ended up with the Rikon 10-325 - about the same price when on sale. It is a 14 " throat, but 13" resaw capacity. I haven't done any true resawing with it yet, primarily just cutting bowl blanks - and it does fine for that. No problems with it so far. The Grizzly has 2 hp vs 1 1/2 for the Rikon, and is slightly heavier - main reason I went with the Rikon was that I knew a number of people who had and were happy with the Rikon. I believe a number of people on this forum have the Extreme models from the Grizzly line - perhaps they'll chime in.

Tim

Fred Belknap
03-15-2014, 7:38 AM
Rob I have the 17" Griz with a foot brake. Had it for a couple years and am well satisfied with it. With a good blade it does a nice job. I cut mostly wood turning blanks but also use it instead of the table saw for a lot of things. Mine has 12" cutting capacity which covers most of my blanks. I like the foot brake as it runs very quiet and smooth and it is easy to forget it is running. It will run half way to town if I don't use the brake. No experience with the smaller BS and risers

Prashun Patel
03-15-2014, 7:53 AM
14 will do it.
17 will do it easier.

if you can afford the bigger saw, get that. In fact, get the biggest, massiest saw you can afford. You wont regret it. Large resaws and thick green bowl blanks made my 14 feel a little tippy and vibratey. The same ops feel more stable on my current 19.

Michelle Rich
03-15-2014, 9:23 AM
I have a 14 with a riser. Grizzly Go555, does ok. I use it for furniture & turning. If I could buy another & had $$ I think I would get one larger, with a bigger table. Little tables are a real pain with larger work. If you can afford it, a 17+ is great.

glenn bradley
03-15-2014, 9:25 AM
I think you will find dozens of very happy folks with some version of the G0513 including me. I too vote for the larger saw. Mass, table size, wheel size, throat depth, all of these are advantages for a saw with only a slightly larger footprint than the 14" saw. Don't get me wrong, the 14" saw is the de facto standard in the home shop and with good reason. We just have many more options today than the time when that 'standard' emerged. As Prashun points out, the bandsaw is one of those tools where raw size and power really pay off. I love my 17" saw but would like one larger and more powerful.

Roger Chandler
03-15-2014, 10:49 AM
I have the Grizzly G0555LX with riser block, which gives me basically 12" height capacity........for a 14" saw, it does a really terrific job. I also have a Jet 18" saw......it does a great job as well. If I could go back and do it over, I would like my Jet 18" saw to have more height capacity. As configured the 12" resaw [height] capacity I have found lacking at times when I needed to cut bigger material. The extra power on the 18" saw really helps in tough wood or large blanks...........the correct blade for bowl blanks is extremely important for proper and optimal performance as well!

Grizzly has one 19" saw that has a 19.5" resaw capacity.......model G0701........that would be the one for me! Both my current saws do a fine job. but there have been larger pieces that I could not put on the saw, and had to use a chainsaw to cut it down to size............

This would be my dream bandsaw.............http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-Ultimate-Bandsaw/G0701

Dave Mueller
03-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Rob,
I have the Griz G0513X2F like Fred and love it. It has cast iron wheels instead of the cast aluminum wheels, but not sure if that makes any difference. Two of the guys in our club have similar saws from other manufacturers and have had problems with the tires coming off and the blades wandering, and both have come to my shop to use my saw and then leaving and wishing that they had bought the Griz. I have used it to resaw some 12" veneer with no problem. Also, like Fred, I use the foot brake after every use, because I don't like to wait for it to spin down before releasing the blade tension. He is correct in that it seems to run forever after turning it off - guess that's an indication of a well balanced saw. My tools keep reminding me that going for the best you can afford seems to be the best choice and I have never regretted it.

Brian Effinger
03-15-2014, 11:25 AM
I have the 0513x2 (the non-identical twin) and love it. It will easily handle anything I put through it, including 8" sopping wet bowl blanks. I haven't tried resawing, or the full 12" capacity, but I don't think it would have a problem with that. The good thing is that it fits in my basemnt shop which has a ceiling lower than 7'. A larger saw probably wouldn't have fit.

Stan Mitchell
03-15-2014, 11:44 AM
I too have the 513X2. It's a fine saw.

In the five years of using it, I've never once wished I had gotten a small saw instead.

Truth be known though - there have been a few time when I've wished it were twice as big!

Jon Prouty
03-15-2014, 1:47 PM
Funny timing on your question... I'm also looking at a new Griz saw.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?215114-Griz-19-quot-bandsaw-opinion

let us know what you decide and be sure to post plenty of pictures.

Jon

Rob Price
03-15-2014, 5:22 PM
I have the Jet pro which is a 14" saw with a built in riser. I have resawn 12" oak and walnut on it. I've also used my buddy's Powermatic 18" and it was twice as fast. I didn't have room for a bigger saw, and what I have works, but with unlimited funds and space I'd go bigger in a heartbeat.

Harry Robinette
03-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Rikon came out with two new 14" saws you might wont to look at them.

Rob Miller
03-17-2014, 2:04 AM
I'd like to get a little advice here, please. I'm considering getting a bandsaw and have been looking at the G0513ANV 17" 2 HP Bandsaw, Anniversary Edition (http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-2-HP-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0513ANV) but I'm wondering if I really need a saw that big. I primarily want to cut bowl blanks but I'd like to be able to resaw a fairly large sized log (I just got a bunch of large pieces of green hickory I need to resaw) -- I think the 6" limit of a 14" saw without a riser would be restrictive. I suppose I could get the G0555LANV 14" Deluxe Bandsaw - Anniversary Edition (http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Deluxe-Bandsaw-Anniversary-Edition/G0555LANV) with a riser block. The 17" seems to be priced pretty reasonably. Does anybody have any experience with either of the two options? I'll look forward to reading your comments.

Thanks!
Rob Miller
Scottsdale

Well, you talked me into it. I pulled the trigger on the 17" Grizzly. Now all I've got to do is find a buyer for my .340 Weatherby so I can pay the bill. :eek:

Brian Ashton
03-17-2014, 7:17 AM
The old rule of buy what you can afford applies here. If you can afford a bigger bandsaw then I'd say get it.

Mike Peace
03-17-2014, 2:11 PM
I have no experience with the Grizzly BS's but I think my comments might still be useful. If you are buying primarily to cut bowl blanks bigger is better. I had a 14" Delta with riser block and moved up to an 18" Rikon. The Delta was ok, but the larger Rikon is much better. The larger saws typically have a larger table which makes it easier and safer to cut larger pieces. The table on larger saws are generally a few inches lower than on a 14" which I find helpful when lifting larger blocks up to saw. The larger 220 v motors do make it easier to cut bowl blanks. The dust collection is usually better on the larger saws. I think cast iron wheels are better than aluminum.

Rob Miller
03-17-2014, 2:18 PM
I think cast iron wheels are better than aluminum.

The saw I bought has the aluminum wheels, but my feeling was if they ever need replacing they can be upgraded to iron. I think it'll be plenty of saw for anything I want to do. Can't wait till it gets here! :D

Brian Kent
03-17-2014, 2:31 PM
Congratulations, Rob. Great choice. I have the 513x2.

Two things have made a world of difference for me.
First is the right blade. The 1/2" Lennox Diemaster 2 makes a world of difference.

Second is to never cut across a log. I have failed to learn my lesson and have destroyed 3 bandsaw blades by doing that. I either cut across with a chainsaw or make the cut down the middle of the log first (assuming it fits) so I can put half a log flat on the table.

Rob Miller
03-17-2014, 2:49 PM
Congratulations, Rob. Great choice. I have the 513x2.

Two things have made a world of difference for me.
First is the right blade. The 1/2" Lennox Diemaster 2 makes a world of difference.

Second is to never cut across a log. I have failed to learn my lesson and have destroyed 3 bandsaw blades by doing that. I either cut across with a chainsaw or make the cut down the middle of the log first (assuming it fits) so I can put half a log flat on the table.

Thanks for the advice. Is this because of the tendency for the log to want to roll? Are you simply saying that having one flat side precludes this from happening?

Prashun Patel
03-17-2014, 3:55 PM
Ripping a log is dangerous because if the log rolls, it will twist the blade. Rip with a clamping or screwing sled. Cross cutting a log on a bandsaw may damage the blade, and can smash your hand, as the blade will roll the log and launch it. This has happened to me when i was even dumber than i am now. It scared me almost as much as kickback on a tablesaw does.