PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Tips Used with Articulated Hollowing Systems

Tom Hartranft
03-14-2014, 9:25 PM
Considering the Monster Articulated Arm Hollowing System which comes with the following cutting tips as standard:

-Straight 3/16" tool with holder

-Straight 1/4" tool with holder

-45 degree angle tool holder with 1/4" high speed steel tool bit

-Swivel tool holder with 3/16” high speed steel tool bit

-Round carbide cutter mounted on a custom machined stem

For up to ~8 inch deep hollow forms, which of these tips do you use regularly or not use at all with your Monster or other make of hollowing system? What kinds of hollowing cuts do you find a need for some other cutting tip and what is the tip you use. Link to other Monster cutting tips ... http://www.monster-lathe-tools.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=67.

Thanks for your feedback. Feedback will help me decide what additional tips (if any) to include in a system purchase.

Tom

Fred Belknap
03-14-2014, 9:41 PM
Tom I use the 3/16" tool, straight and swivel to do 90% of my hollowing. I have the swan neck tool and use a round cutter, those that are about the size of a quarter, to clean up with. I think it came off a Sorby swan neck hand tool. It does a nice job. Those three tools do most of my work with the Monster. Hope this helps a little. Eight inches off the tool rest is stretching the limits on the tool. I don't do many things with small opening so I can sometimes get the tool rest inside the bowl.

John Keeton
03-15-2014, 4:51 AM
I also use the 3/16" cutter for the vast majority of hollowing. I would suggest using the system for awhile before considering additional or optional tips. I suspect you will not need them. But, if you do they are available.

john taliaferro
03-15-2014, 9:47 AM
For a finish scrape i use pieces of old jointer blade cut with 3'' cut off wheel from lows mounted on an old arbor in my mini lathe . Make a pile of them in different sizes and shapes . Grind to 80 degrees and cut with the burr it will only last a minute or two but nice finish .

Tom Hartranft
03-15-2014, 7:38 PM
Appreciate the follow up posts.

Since posting yesterday, I have continued looking online for cutting bit info and today came across the following SMC 2011 series of posts that are also helpful in appreciating the use of a variety of cutting tips. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?159329-Monster-Hollowing-tips-survey It's a good discussion with various perspectives. Thought I'd add the link here for anyone else who might wish to learn some more about such cutting tips.

Tom