PDA

View Full Version : Dsmc 24" planer

Clint Stewart
03-14-2014, 1:56 PM
Hey guys, first post here. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the creek non stop the past week or so it's kinda addictive.... Anyways I wanted to ask your opinion on a planer that I have. I bought a part of a good collection of tools a few months ago and this planer is one of the pieces. The planer is a DSMC 24" planer with a 10 hp 3 ph motor. My question is if anyone has any experience with one of these and what your thoughts were about the overall quality of the machine.
I'm pretty sure this is to large for my workspace actually I know it is at least at that location but trying to decide if I need to just store it back or sell it. I actually haven't even hooked it up yet. I didn't have time to take a picture of it but here is a link to one very similar: ebay item 190875337562
Again glad to be a part of the creek and thanks to any input!!

Peter Kelly
03-14-2014, 3:10 PM
As I remember, Unitronix / Polamco were decent, no-frills machines imported by Fortis and others. Hopefully you don't need any esoteric parts for that planer as Unitronix's parent company Metalexport is either out of business or no longer makes woodworking machines.

Clint Stewart
03-14-2014, 3:23 PM
Thanks for the info Peter.

David Kumm
03-14-2014, 3:33 PM
Zefam is another version. Polish I believe and very heavy. Tables were planed rather than ground and there are quite a few here in the US. Dave

J.R. Rutter
03-14-2014, 4:16 PM
I only have second-hand knowledge of them, but a friend of mine who has a big Polish shaper says that he would put it up against a Martin for solid, smooth, quiet operation. In general, I've heard that they are typically pretty massive with big precision bearings and well engineered.

Clint Stewart
03-14-2014, 5:13 PM
Thanks for the comments! The one I have is indeed Polish made and I can definitely attest to the size and weight of the machine. I guess, the question I had about it, Mr. Ritter may have answered . Is it a machine to just remove material, or is it precise and reliable enough to trust with more delicate tasks.

For instance I also have a Powermatic 15s, I have planed quite a bit with it, and it is just not reliable for even thickness on both sides of a very wide board. The Powermatic seems to have to much play in the bed adjustments. Thanks again for any info or opinion good or bad!

David Kumm
03-14-2014, 5:53 PM
I've seen the jointer, planer and shaper and they are as well built as JR states. Parts will be a problem but most old machine parts can be made. Planers are the most complicated of the bunch so you to be sure the segmented infeed, and roller drive system is running and sound. Dave

Kevin Jenness
03-14-2014, 9:31 PM
My neighbor/onetime collaborator has that machine,, from the mid 80's. Solid, precise, reliable. It's not a Martin, but it certainly equals the SCMI and Casadei machines I am familiar with.

Clint Stewart
03-14-2014, 11:34 PM
I'll ask this question at the risk of being laughed off here and sounding like a complete idiot. I am most familiar with powermatic/delta level machinery. Is this on the same level as those or does it exceed them or are is this equal to a Chinese knockoff? I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge but I am fairly new to this segment of woodworking. I wouldn't say that I am self taught but most of my knowledge of the machinery is. Just not wanting to make a mistake of not having the adequate knowledge to realize if this machine is far superior to the level of machines I am accustomed to using. From the sound of what you guys are saying the Martins are the best out there and this is below that but I'm assuming better than what is typically found in the average guys shop.

Joe Jensen
03-15-2014, 12:01 AM
The big Euro machines are in a tier well above the Powermatic/Delta machines. The US Old Iron large commercial machines are fantastic but most are antiques. The big Euro machines are even a class above I'd say. Much newer designs, high precision machining and still very heavy.

David Kumm
03-15-2014, 12:15 AM
In the Euro world Martin, Panhans, Bauerle, Kolle, Wadkin are way up there. The EMA, Unitronix, Zefam were eastern block versions, maybe a little less refined but still high end. In the US the pick of the old litter were Whitney and Buss. Then Oliver, Northfield, Newman ( merged with Whitney ). Still above PM and Delta Rockwell who are above the knock off Asian. Not because the machines are Asian but because the knock offs are copies of machines a step down from the old PM 224 or 225. With any of the old planers, Euro or US, it is more about condition than brand. All good planers have basically the same design. Differences are in diameter of cutter, design of feed system ( belts or chains ) separate motor for feed rollers including power bed rollers. A built in grinder adds a fair amount of value to straight knife machines too. An onboard grinder puts a straight knife above most any other head if you know how to use it. Dave

J.R. Rutter
03-15-2014, 12:12 PM
To get an idea about how well a planer will do for fine work, take a look at the spacing of the pressure elements around the cutterhead. Some planers were purposefully designed with wider spacing to be better for surfacing rough lumber, like at a sawmill or lumber yard, others were built for finish work.

Jeff Duncan
03-15-2014, 1:35 PM
David is right on the money. In addition, there are some Asian knock-offs that are significantly better value than the smaller Delta/Powermatic offerings. Guys who love their old iron don't want to hear it, but it's true. I'm not talking about the all too familiar brands you read about on here, but other companies less known like Lin-Mac, Northwood, Extrema and others that build inexpensive industrial machines that will outwork the smaller home shop type machines. It mostly comes down to level of refinement and stoutness of the machine. As an example I have a Lin-Mac knock-off shaper and a used to have a Powermatic 27 that I bought brand new. The Powermatic looked like a toy compared to the Lin-Mac and I found it disappointing to use.

Now some of the older bigger Powermatic stuff is pretty decent, but not sure I'd trade your machine for any Powermatic? I'm not familiar enough with it to say? I just know I've had good success with all my European equipment.

good luck,
JeffD