PDA

View Full Version : Band saw riser kit advice?

Mike Allen1010
03-13-2014, 10:59 PM
I have a 20 year old 14" Taiwanese made band saw (Trans power is brand). I'm a hand tool guy and don't know much about power tools.

I was recently gifted set of Carter ball bearing blade guides. I use this saw for re-sawing primarily and am interested in adding a riser kit to increase re-saw width. I'm willing to invest in 2HP motor (?).

Any advice about how best to purchase and install riser kit are very much appreciated. I've bought stuff from Ittarra BS supplies in the past but they don't offer riser kits anymore.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Chris Padilla
03-14-2014, 11:32 AM
I dunno if any of the Delta riser kits or kits from other 14" BS might work for you. Perhaps posting pictures of your BS might help us to help you.

Howard Acheson
03-14-2014, 12:40 PM
You need more than just the riser block. You also need a longer blade guard and longer guide bearing holder rod or bracket.

Terry Beadle
03-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Hello,

You can get an idea of what componets you'll need from Grizzly's riser kits.
Here's a link to one : http://www.grizzly.com/products/H3051P

Grizzly may also know about your particular band saw as they have dealt with imported equipment for years.

You should call them. They are most helpful.

Good Luck !

Dave Cullen
03-14-2014, 2:27 PM
I, too, have a Taiwan 14" bandsaw (AMT) and except for the guidepost that Grizzly kit looks like it might fit. The guide post on my saw is hex stock. Hmm...

John TenEyck
03-14-2014, 8:21 PM
I put a Powermatic riser block on my Delta. The locating pins are different, so I cut them off and drilled new holes to match those on my Delta. Everything else fit perfectly, except the upper guides bar which was round - it's hexagonal on my Delta. I got a longer hex bar from Iturra. It works great. If you do it, make sure the wheels are coplaner as you put it back together. I ended up cutting off one of the locating pins so that I could rotate things a little to get them lined up. I'm guessing they never were coplaner before the change so maybe it's not an issue if yours are now. Anyway, be sure to tighten the bolt through the riser very tight to reduce frame stretch/bending.

John

Mike Allen1010
03-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Thanks a lot guys. Terry the link to Grizzley is particularly helpful I'll call this weekend.

My guidepost is 3/4" diameter, round with flat side for set screw. Can't tell diameter of Grizzley post?

Tried to post pics but got weird failure message that's new to me -waaay too much work for IT challenged guy like me to tackle.

Thanks again, Mike