PDA

View Full Version : Outfitting shop

Mike Steinhilper
06-20-2005, 11:49 AM
I've got the basics... tablesaw, jigsaw, miter saw, RO Sander, hand router, good bench. I usually buy tools as I need them for a project, but are there any really basic things that I need? Grinder? If so, what type? Drill press? What do you all generally use most for building boxes of all types, e.g. armoirs, drawers, tables... I appreciate any suggestions. Really enjoying this site... glad I found it!

Christian Aufreiter
06-20-2005, 12:03 PM
Hi Mike,

first, if you didn't already have you official introduction thread: WELCOME! :)

As for your situation, I think it's quite difficult to reommend a certain tool. IMO the most important "tool" (or "factor" during a woodworking project) are the woodworker, his attitude and way of thinking. Similar tasks and projects can be accomplished in many different ways that all might lead to a nice result. For example, one of my buddies produces excellent stuff and never owned a biscuit joiner. Personally, I would not want to be without mine.
If you build a cabinet in the end nobody (apart from woodworkers who aren't only interested in the final result but also in the working process) will ask if you used dowels, biscuits, sliding dovetails etc.

Regards,

Christian

Michael Gabbay
06-20-2005, 12:26 PM
Mike -

As Christian said you can accomplish the same joinery in many ways. I do a lot of cabinetry and table making. Here's what I depend on:

Dado set for cabinetry joints
Clamps for all pieces
Router for all edge work. I have two one in the table (3hp DeWalt) and a PC 690 for hand held work
Bench top mortiser. You can get the same results with a drill press and attachment but I prefer having the dedicated mortiser
Hand planes - #4, # 4 1/2, #5, #7, 60 1/2R and shoulder. I use all of mine but could not live w/o my 4 1/2, 60 1/2 R and shoulder.
Scrapers for cleanup
Chisels
Kreg jig for cabinet face frames
Planer and jointer - will save you money in the long run because you can buy rough sawn. I use mine on all projects and only buy rough sawn stock.

Buy what you need when you need it. That way you know you'll get some use out of it.
Mike

Steve Cox
06-20-2005, 1:05 PM
As far as power tools go, the only ones I really consider essential that are not on you list are a planer and jointer. Flat, square stock is critical to almost any project and these two plus the table saw will give it to you. You can do this by hand with a collection of hand planes but that is slower and requires more skill. If you are going to be doing curved work or resawing for veneers, etc, you will need a band saw. Other than that, buy what you need when you need it.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-20-2005, 1:33 PM
I will agree completely with Steve. My new dj20 jointer has improved the sucess of my work greatly! :) My frustration level is way down from not having to deal with imperfect stock.